Birthday

November 27th, 1958 9:12 am

I slowly wake up to Buddy lightly shaking me. I roll over and shield my eyes from the lamp on his side of the bed, groaning.

"Happy birthday, darlin'." I hear Buddy whisper.

"Thanks." I mumble, pulling up the blanket up.

I feel Buddy sit up and lean over, reaching for his glasses. "So, whaddya wanna do today?" He questions.

I shrug my shoulders and sit up slowly.

Buddy wraps his arm around my shoulders and I lean into him.

We sit in a comfortable silence for a few minutes. Unlike with others, silence isn't awkward with him. We've been together for so long, it's not weird. We just enjoy each other's presence.

The phone rings from the kitchen, causing us both to jump.

"That's probably Juliet or Vincent." I say, getting up and heading toward the kitchen.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Happy birthday, candy ass." I hear Vincent's familiar voice.

"You too, nerd" I respond.

Vincent and I have had these nice little names for each other since we were about fourteen. Neither of us remember the origin, but we still haven't let them go.

"Any plans?" Vincent asks.

"No," I respond. "Just got up. How about you?"

"Vi, it's..." Vincent pauses. "9 in the morning there! You just woke up?"

"Yeah, what time is it there in California?" I hear Buddy walk in. He drapes a blanket over my shoulders. I turn to him and smile.

"It's 6! Wow, you really don't have a great sleep schedule anymore. Oh, and yes, I do have plans."

I roll my eyes and laugh. "Well... you're right. What are your plans?"

"I'm going out with that girl. I asked her out a couple weeks ago, I think we're steady." Vincent says casually.

"Vincent Tybalt Winter! You don't withhold information like that from me! I am your most trustworthy sister! What's this girls name? Will I ever have to fight her?" I scold.

"Her name is Linda and I agree, you're more trustworthy than Juliet...aside from the fact that Buddy is definitely listening to this, and if he's not, you'll tell him."

I look at Buddy who's leaning on the counter next to me. He raises his eyebrows and laughs, taking the phone.

"Now Vincent, are ya sayin' that I shouldn't know about this Linda?" He says.

I lean in to hear Vincent through the phone better.

"Oh, wow, I was right, as usual." Vincent responds sarcastically. "By the way," he adds, "She just so happens to be a big Buddy Holly fan."

Buddy smiles and itches his head. "Is she now? Does she believe that your sister's married to him?"

"Yeah, hardly. Even after that interview Vi did with Sally last month. I don't know what to tell her." Vincent says. I can tell that he's tried to explain, but it hasn't really worked out.

"If we're ever in town, tell her we'll take her to dinner or something'." Buddy says, still smiling.

"She'd love that, really. I'll make sure to let her know." Vincent replies. "I'll give you an update if she mentions you at all."