And the line goes dead

I put on my brave face and smiled at my sister.

"Nothing, sweetie.", I lied, "Are you ready for breakfast?"

Hope was my baby. She'd only been a year old when my parents were taken. The poor kid would probably think I was her mother, if it weren't for the fact that I don't let her call me mom. She was a younger spitting image of me with a lighter complexion than my tan and curlier lighter hair. Everything else was the same though from the glasses she wore on her face to the blue of her eyes, to the fact that she'd dye her hair blue if I'd let her.

She looked at me suspiciously but quietly moved to her spot at the table as Shady set a plate in front of her. I turned on cartoons and tried to act as normal as possible.

"What are we going to do? We have nowhere to go.", I whisper to Shady as Skye files in behind Hope.

His face goes thoughtful and serious, his eyes closed in concentration. These were the matters he had to help me with, or I would be completely lost. I wish I could've known then how dependent on him I would be.

"What about aunts and uncles?", He snapped his eyes open, "You have an aunt, right?"

"She and my mom never talked. I doubt she even remembers me. I don't even know where she lives.", I sighed, "But we can't stay here."

"Then we'd better go on the road.", Shady sighed.

His sister, Kim, was the next into the room. She was twelve years old. Her brown hair was tied into a ponytail, and with her gray sweats on, she looked ready for a fight (she probably was to tell the truth). Kim's green eyes went wide as she took in her brother and I huddled togther whispering to each other. Something's wrong her eyes flashed. She was silent though as she took her plate from Shady.

My brother, Chase, was the last to stumble out of bed. He was thirteen, and was by far the harder family member to deal with.  His short brown hair,was untidy, but he quickly ran his fingers through it and raised his eyes as he entered the kitchen.

My phone rang. I answered it without thinking.

"Hello?", I asked.

"Death, is that you?", my mother's voice came from the other end of the phone. I almost dropped the phone.

Shady, standing close enough to me to hear it, straightened up and stared at the phone.

"Mom?", I asked shocked, "Is that you?"

Chase's head shot up in surprise.

"Yes, love.", My mom said, " I can't talk long but you have to get out of the house. In the car you'll find a list of safe places. Get out as fast as you can, they're coming for you now that we've escaped."

"Mom, slow down.", I said, "You guys escaped? Where are you? And what's this about safe houses?"

"I can't explain now, but do as I say and I love you.", my mother says as the line goes dead.

"What did Mom say?", Chase demanded.

"We have to get out of here. They're coming after us, because our parents got away.", I say sinking into a chair, too lightheaded to stand.

That was all lot to process.

"You heard Death.", He snapped, "Everyone finish eating and get packed. Get a move on."

A half hour later, everything was packed and I was standing in my room running through a mental checklist, I'd forgotten I had of things to pack.

"Where are they?", Chase demands from my doorway, "Mom and Dad. Why haven't they come to get  us?"

"Chase, I don't know, honestly.", I snapped, "Mom didn't say anything except that we had to get out of here."

" 'Course she didn't.", Chase snapped, rolling his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Chase, but that's all I got.", I sighed, "All I know is there's a manhunt out for us so we have to go."

Chase rolled his eyes again. This was all he ever did. He'd roll his eyes at me or snapped at me over stuff having to do with mom and dad. My already short temper fuse was gone.

"Chase Matthew, I'm sorry I'm not Mom with all the answers, but I'm trying my best.", I snapped, "I could really use some cooperation from you. I know it's harder for you and Kim losing our parents, but you need to quit taking it out on me. I'm in the same boat you are."

He opened his mouth but shut it quickly. He quietly helped me carry stuff to the garage. 

"Dea, i we 'eavin?", Hope asked when I sat down in the passenger seat of my parent's HoverVan 2020.

"There are people who want to hurt us.", I tried to explain, "But they can't hurt us if we aren't here. "

Shady as the oldest climbed into the driver seat of the van, which comfortably fit all six of and had room in the trunk for all of our stuff ,which was shoved into six suitcases.

I did a quick head count and confirmed everyone was in, before Shady opened the garage and pulled away from the house.

We were barely a mile from the house, when it exploded.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first time I've posted an original story online, so would you please comment and tell me how I did? I really would appreciate it, and it would help me decide whether I should continue Girl With The Blue Hair or if it sucks and I need to just scrap it. Constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thanks,

M.S.