Chapter Three

I'm sure right about now you are wondering if I actually went through with going to the therapist with Hannah. I did, but not before I had major doubt for two days and nearly backed out of it ten minutes before she knocked on my door. Then my mom walked into the kitchen and my mind was set.

      “Where are you going to so early?” My mom asked standing in front of the refrigerator.

      “With Hannah.” I mumbled while stuffing my mouth with french toast in hopes that she would move on quickly with her questions.

      Mom stood still. Her spine went erect and I could tell she was thinking of every answer I had gone through in my own head. Was this a good idea? What was I think would come of it? You do realize this will all have to end, right?

      “Does she know?” she asked instead.

      “No.”

      Turning around she faced me with a sad look in her eyes. “Adam, you have to tell her.”

      “I will, just in my own time.”

      “She has been through a lot.” She said taking a seat across from me. I could see the weary and sadness she felt in her eyes. “You don't want to hurt her anymore than she has already been hurt.”

      “I wont, Mom.” I grumbled dropping my last piece of toast. “Just let handle this.”

      “Be careful is all I'm saying.”

      “When haven't I been careful?”

      “You have.” She put her head in her hands, “It's just I don't want you getting hurt either.”

      The doorbell rang then and I gave my mom a quick shrug and smile. “Don't worry about me, I've got this.” I said as I stood up grabbing my books, “Gotta go.”

      You know that feeling you get when you are riding a roller coater and it dips fast? That lifting of your stomach from fear but also the thrill of that fear? When I opened the front door my stomach did that. It felt like every breath in my body was knocked out and my heart was beating loud in my chest.

      It sounds cheesy, I know but it is what it is. I had to hold my hand in check because I wanted nothing more than to put it against where my heart beat heavily under my chest.

      I knew Hannah was beautiful. You can't hide that kind of thing but seeing her standing on my front porch in a white sundress with small blue flowers covering it left me breathless. I looked down to her feet which were in dark blue Converse shoes and took a deep breath. The last thing I wanted to do was make whatever friendship we were working on awkward.

      “You can drive, right?” She asked with a hand on her hip. “I told Beth you could drive us.”

      “What if I didn't have a drivers license?” I asked stepping onto the porch and closing the door behind me.

      Hannah skipped down the front steps and her long hair floated around her, “I suppose if you didn't I'd just have to go ask Beth but then we'd be stuck being oh so normal and I know how much you hate normal.” She winked with a grin.

      “I have a car.”

      “Good!”

      We walked to the garage and hopped in my 1999 Toyota Corolla. When I first got the car my parents weren't too thrilled. “We could buy you a brand new one, a safer one.” my mom pleaded. I stood my ground and made it clear that this was the exact car for me.