Three

Rey's POV:

I sat by myself in the quiet, vast library on our base, taking every opportunity I had to read something. Books were almost nonexistent on Jakku. A few librarians bustled their way around the library, finding books, replacing them on shelves, and helping out random rebels that would come in every so often.

I looked up from my current book to see Kylo, or Ben, looking around the library awkwardly. He didn't seem like the reading type. He looked around until his eyes met mine and I immediately looked back down at my book, pretending to resume reading. I heard his footsteps start to come closer to me and I held my breath, I didn't know what he wanted and I didn't feel like being bothered either.

"Rey," He said, announcing himself once he reached a few feet in front of me. "Leia would like to see you. She told me you'd be in here." I looked up from my book just as he plucked it out of my hands, holding my page and examined the front cover. "You're reading about the old Republic? Chancellor Palpatine always interested me."

"Darth Sidious was the reason your grandfather went to the dark side," I debated and looked up at him briefly before taking my book back.

"That's what everyone thinks, but Darth Sidious just brought out my grandfather's potential as a sith. Just like Snoke did with me." He stated in a matter-of-fact tone and I could tell that if I talked anymore about this, it would turn into an argument. "That's what I'm trying to do with you. I see your potential."

"Where's Leia?" I asked, getting up from the chair and completely dismissed his last comment. I didn't need to hear his spiel again.

"She's still in her room, the hospital room." He answered and followed closely behind me as I made my way to Leia's room. "Are you not going to acknowledge what I said?" He asked as we got to the elevator, looking at me skeptically. We climbed into the elevator and I absentmindedly pushed the fifth floor button, feeling the elevator seamlessly start to climb the floors.

"Should I?" I asked, looking up at him and noticed how close he was so I took a small step sideways. It reminded me of when I was going to see Snoke before Kylo killed him.

"It would be nice." He retorted. "I just want you to utilize the abilities you have. They're gifts that shouldn't go unused–"

"I don't have to use them the way you do. I can still use my abilities without going to the dark side. There should be balance."

"There is balance. You're the light, I'm the dark. That doesn't mean we can't have a little bit of both in us. You told me that you can feel the light in me, I feel the dark in you. I know you feel it too." I felt his energy growing stronger, making me almost uncomfortable. I felt trapped, suffocated even, like I did when he had me as a prisoner in that chair back when he first captured me on the Star Killer base. I felt that he was still afraid of disappointing everyone, that he wouldn't be as strong as Darth Vader.

"You're still afraid." I whispered and felt him tense up. "You don't have to worry about disappointing anyone. You're the supreme leader. You aren't Snoke's puppet anymore." I said and looked up at him. His expression looked sad and angry, but mostly shut off. I could tell that he wasn't going to respond and if he did, he might've snapped on me.

The elevator dinged loudly at the third floor and the doors opened revealing a few rebels. Their eyes widened when they saw Kylo and they shuffled awkwardly into the elevator with us, pushing Kylo and I to opposite sides. One of the rebels was one of my closer friends I had made while being here. He was one of the pilots that worked alongside Poe named Jax.

"Hi," He whispered, leaning over towards me and bumped me with his shoulder. "I haven't seen you in a little while." He smiled down at me and I blushed lightly. We had grown close together in the past few months and I developed the slightest crush on him. He was so nice and was so easy to talk to about anything and everything. His short blond hair was spiked up and he had lighter blue eyes to match to his lighter complexion. He wore his pilot uniform so I could only imagine that he was going out on a mission.