Chapter 34. Red Sky

Tamer studied himself in the mirror as he slipped on a plastene helmet. Candlelight flashed on his visor. His suit was made from myropane, a special material that would protect him from toxins. It was equipped with a temperature regulator. A durable cable fitted to a grappling hook was attached to the utility belt round his waist and a medi-pouch was strapped to his thigh. The bag on his back housed the air system and a water canteen.

He looked like a giant bug standing on two legs. Taking a step back, he felt the heel of his shoe landing on Rai’s foot. He lurched backwards, gravity pulling him down. He held onto the vanity table and managed to keep his balance. His friend grunted but didn’t rouse from his sleep. It would take more than a gunshot to wake Rai, a heavy sleeper that he was.

Tamer retreated to the edge of his room where his backpack was packed and ready to go. He took off his suit and helmet, threw them in another bag and paused briefly to peer at the street. A lantern glided to the window from outside, splashing a flame of green on Eryx’s sleeping form by the bed.

He had an hour to spare before they would depart for Ashura Deadlands, enough time to feed the ragars and prepare them for the journey.  Picking up his bags, Tamer crossed the room. Rai had slipped off his mattress, hands and legs spread out as if he owned the floor. Tamer gave him a good kick in the ribs. Served him right for the prank he’d pulled on him yesterday (Rai had spiked his morning tea with liquor). His friend groaned, wriggled back on the mattress and stilled.

The bar was awash with the scent of burning wood and disinfectant. Chairs lay upside down on the tables. The tiled floor sparkled in the light, moped clean by the innkeeper. He caught a flash of red curls from the corner of his eyes. Clara sat huddled in the shadows, her back to him. He made his presence known by treading on the floor.  

She was shuffling a deck of cards. She placed four cards from across her chair, another four to herself and set the rest on the side.

“Who are you playing with?” Tamer asked.

“Mr. Horrigan. He’s quite charming. Loves to talk about his thirteen wives,” she said, angling her chin at the invisible player.

“Well, I’m sure Mr. Horrigan wouldn’t mind if I steal his cards.” He sank into the chair, crossing his legs at the ankles. “Mar-karata?”

Clara nodded. “I’ll start.” She drew one card out, slid it to the center of the table and flipped it over.

A hologram of a knight in blue armor appeared above the card, a chimera with the lower body of a horse and a tail of a scorpion. It pulled back the string of its bow, four arrows poised ready. Four arrows for four points.

Mar-karata was one of the oldest games in Aurion. The goal was to get as many points as one could in a set and the person with the highest points was awarded the winner. The players were not allowed to look at their cards.

On the fourth day at Nazim, Rai had taken to teaching Clara card games and every night since then, they’d settle in the same table Tamer now sat. Rai yammering about card tricks, Clara laughing at his jokes, and he, watching them together, his stomach giving an odd jolt.

“My turn,” he said, turning over his card.

A gumaru awakened, the color of its fur switching from red to purple to green and back again. Three tails swished behind its hind legs. Three tails for three points. It bared its teeth, lean muscles rippling, and leapt towards the chimera. The knight freed the arrows, shooting the gumaru in the head and the chest. Killing shots.

The holograms vanished.

“I take it back. Mr. Horrigan isn’t happy about me stealing his cards. No wonder he sent me a disgusting case of bad luck,” he said.