Chapter Two

While the Nemeton had been easy to find, Theo's truck was harder

While the Nemeton had been easy to find, Theo's truck was harder. At first Liam lead the way, confidant in his tracking skills. He passed the truck on his way in and had a clear picture of it in his mind. After an hour of trudging through the bushes it was dark and they were not closer to the truck than before.

'I'm cold.' Liam rubbed his arms. Theo glared at him, Liam's sweater the only piece of clothing wrapped around his waist.

'Follow me.'

Theo unwrapped the sweater from his waist, standing naked in the moonlight. Liam felt his face flush, eyes drifting down.

'Are you checking out my ass, Dunbar?'

'What? No. I was picking up my sweater!' Liam scooped it up, watching Theo shift. He casually brought the sweater up to his nose. Theo smelled good.

It was strange to watch a full shift—Theo made it seem effortless, one form flowing into the other like water moving from a lake to a stream. In a few seconds a large black wolf stood in front of Liam, throwing a questioning glare over its shoulder before trotting off into the trees.

'Hey, wait!' Liam bolted, trying to keep up with Theo. It had been so much easier to keep up when he was a wolf.

#

Liam found Theo waiting beside the truck, golden wolf eyes watching as he panted, coming to a stop at the back of the truck.

'Holy jeez you're fast.'

Theo gave a pleased yip.

Silence stretched out between them. Theo scratched an itchy forepaw with his front teeth.

'Um Theo, where's the key?'

The black wolf huffed and stretched, shifting back into a naked Theo who walked directly towards Liam without missing a beat. Liam clutched the sweater tight as the chimera loomed over him, moonlight making his skin glow. Theo leaned in, chest and neck nearly touching Liam, moving at the last second to tilt just past him to pluck the key from the bed of the truck.

Liam tried to get his heart under control. He knew Theo was smirking without looking. As the older boy leaned back, head passing Liam, he gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

'You're cute when you blush baby wolf.'

Theo winked and unlocked the truck. In a few seconds he pulled on his clothes. It always felt weird after being without them for so long.

Liam's nose wrinkled when he climbed into Theo's truck. While Theo's scent was great, his unwashed socks were not. As Theo struggled to get the truck going Liam looked around. Old fast food wrappers littered the floor. A blanket and a pillow stashed in the back seat covered the dirty socks, and from what Liam could tell, one of the three outfits that Theo always wore when he popped up from wherever he lived. Liam frowned.