Chapter 8: Missing Islands

♠️Hiccup♠️

I sit on Toothless scanning for more dragons. I see deadly nadders and slide a balloon into my shield sling shot. I pull back, aim, and fire. I got the deadly nadder in the side, the balloon pops, but leaves paint behind, marking the dragon.

The deadly nadder growls before taking flight. I move on and see a gronckle and get ready to fire, but a balloon sails past me and hits the gronckle first. The boulder class dragon jumps, startled. I look over my shoulder and see Ivy, smiling down at me, holding a balloon in her left hand.

"Mind if I drop in?" I smile, happy to see she's feeling better. "Not at all." Toothless calls a greeting to Nightwing, who returns it. We continue on, marking more dragons with paint.  

"Let's go check on the twins, their suppose to be marking the crescent island dragons." Ivy nods and we fly to the twins. I'm not shocked to find them pelting each other with paint.

"Guys!" Paint comes flying at Ivy and I. We barely manage to dodge. "You're suppose to be tagging the dragons not each other!"

"In a way this is your fault, Hiccup."

"And how do you figure that?" I ask, crossing my arms. Ruff holds up her pouch of paint. "You armed us with paint, how'd you think that was gonna go."

"How many of these do we have to do, anyway?"

"As many as we can. The more dragons we tag on each island, the better we can keep track on where they belong and where they may migrate to," I say and Ivy nods.

"Wow, that was. . ."

"Fascinating?"

"What's the opposite of fascinating?" Ruff and Tuff snicker and Ivy rolls her eyes. "Can we get back to the task at hand? Uh, Hiccup, isn't it suppose to be one color per island?" Ivy asks and I look over at her. "Uh, yeah, why?"

"I see two colors over there," She says, pointing to two gronckles, one had green paint the other was orange. "I should ask, Fishlegs about it. This was his idea."

"Your going to fly all the way back to Berk?"

"I won't have to. Me and Fishlegs have been working on this new thing." I reach into my satchel and pull out a terrible terror. "What are you doing?"

"I call it airmail."

"Stupid name," Ruffnut says, rolling her eyes. I sigh before pulling out paper. "Do you really think that terrible terror is going to fly all the way back to Berk?" Ivy asks, crossing her arms. "I'm positive. Terrible terrors are territorial and will return to their birth place."

"How do we know if he made it?" Ivy asks and I smile. "We'll know if it works when Fishlegs and Snotlout meet us at Dragon Island." Ivy nods and we get onto our dragons and fly off.

🌿Ivy🌿

We land on Dragon Island and I see Snotlout and Fishlegs. I wave over to Fishlegs. "Hiccup, I got your message, I knew Airmail would work. So, what's the emergency?" Hiccup explains to him that we've been spotting different colors on islands they shouldn't be on.

Hiccup tells Fishlegs what colors were found. Fishlegs suggests going to Thor Rock Island. "I'll meet you guys back at Berk, I promised Astrid I'd help her with marking her dragons." I say and Hiccup nods, saying goodbye. I hop on Nightwing and take flight.

After arriving at Berk I land and search for Astrid. I find her at the Dragon Training Academy. "Hey, Astrid, I'm sorry I'm late, got held up with Hiccup, so, I'm ready to tag some dragons."

"Sorry, Ivy, but I already tagged mine."

"Oh, can I help you with anything else?"

"Only if you don't mind target practice." Astrid says, holding up an axe. I smile and nod. I help her set the barrels up and together we start throwing axes, talking the hours away.

I stop after a few good hours. Hiccup should have been back by now. I go walk around and stumble upon the twins, acting weirder than usually. "What are you two muttonheads doing?"

"Shh. It's right behind you." I roll my eyes before turning around, I look down and see a terrible terror, with a note on it's leg. "Huh, Airmail." I crouch down and pick up the small dragon. I pull the note off and read it.

"Oh no. We need to get to dragon island, now!" I grab the twins by the arm and take off running, screaming for Snotlout and Astrid. Once they appear I tell them how the Screaming Death is heading for Dragon Island.

We fly there as quickly as possible to find Hiccup trying to lead the Screaming Death away. "He can't do it by himself. Let's go, girl!" Nightwing grumbles in agreement before flying full speed toward Hiccup and Toothless. The Screaming Death is closing in.

"Nightwing, plasma blast!" An orb of purple light shot from my nightfury and hit the Screaming Death on the side of the head. "Come and get me, you overgrown Earthworm!" I scream and the albino dragon roars angrily, before flying in my direction.

"Ivy, what are you doing? Get out of here!"

"I'm not letting you do this alone, we're a team, remember?" I call dodging fire blasts. Hiccup nods before patting Toothless head. A plasma blast hit the Screaming Death causing him to turn toward Hiccup. I signal Nightwing and she shoots. The Screaming Death roars in rage turning back to me.

We continue trading blows back and forth. All of a sudden Magma comes flying at the huge Dragon. I look up and see Fishlegs with a flock of gronckles. "Woah, nice Fishlegs."

"How'd he do that?"

"Because, gronckles are territorial too. They will do whatever it takes to defend their homes, nice work Fishlegs."

"Alright, then let's get territorial!" We gather all the wild dragons and together we drive the Screaming Death away from Dragon Island. I sigh as Nightwing and the rest of us land. "I can't wait to get home," Astrid says cracking her neck. The other riders murmur in agreement. I look over and see Hiccup staring at where the Screaming Death disappeared to. I slip off Nightwing and go over to him, placing my hand on his shoulder.

"Good news is there won't be another Screaming Death for another hundred years," I say to him but his concerned look doesn't leave his face. "Yeah, but the bad news is that this Screaming Death is still out there and one day, it'll come back to Berk."

"Let's hope that day is far far in the future, come on, let's go." He nods and goes to Toothless and I to Nightwing. I get on and take to the sky, my friends beside me. I sigh in relief when we land on Berk. I slide off Nightwing and look around at the island that had become my temporary home.

"Hey, want to go cliff diving again?" I turn and smile at Astrid, we'd become the best of friends. "Maybe later, let's relax after our earlier near death experience before we go searching for another one." Astrid smiles and we bump forearms.

I'm about to go over to Hiccup when I hear a loud roar from the sky. I look up and see a Typhoomerang coming towards us. Nearly the entire village started to panic. I run over to Nightwing and get on and she lets out a growl. The other dragon riders do the same. We don't get many Typhoomerangs flying to Berk.

I see the outline of someone riding it. The Typhoomerang's wings suddenly go up trying to stop itself. It nearly crashes into the ground but rights itself and stumbles forward. The rider jumps off, pulling down her hood. I stare at her and she looks around at the village.

"Ivy! Where's Ivy?"

"Kari?" She turns and her eyes meet mine. "Oh, thank Odin, your safe." I rush forward, after dismounting, and hug her tightly. "What are you doing here?"

"What's going on?" Hiccup asks stepping up to us as Kari pulls away from me. Her eyes find Hiccup and narrow in hatred. "It's none of your concern, Berkian!"

"Woah," Hiccup says reeling in surprise. "Aren't you just a ray of sunshine," Astrid says coming to stand beside Hiccup. "Easy, you're on my Island, girl, and that's my son you're talking to. Now what business do you have with us?" Stoick asks coming over and standing at his full height.

"My business has nothing to do with you. I'm here for Ivy!"

"Well, Ivy's been living with us for quite awhile now. We've treated her like family, so your business with her means business with us." The dragonriders all nod and I smile at them. "It's okay, Kari."

"You need to come back home," she says to me and my eyes widen as well as the other dragonriders. "It's your father."