Chapter Two

April shifted the chest to balance it on her hip as she unlocked the door. The old brass bell merrily jingled its welcome as she entered and tapped the door shut with her foot. The familiar aroma of coffee waiting to be brewed awakened her like nothing else could. April had never been a morning person, but life in the coffee shop came very close to making her one.

She carefully tucked the precious chest under the front counter where she could keep an eye on it and began her shop opening rituals. Within minutes she had the lights on, the music going, and the coffee perking. She looked up at the clock.

"Better get some water boiling . . . " she mumbled to herself.

Just as all the machines started to hiss, and bubble, and steam, the little brass bell jingled again.

"Good morning, April. Back from vacation already," asked Edmond Worley far too cheerily for this hour of the morning.

"Morning, Ed," April responded. "Not exactly what I would call a vacation. I went up to Boca for a couple of days to help Mom get started cleaning at Grandma Irene's house. Earl Grey as usual this morning, or could I tempt you with some coffee this time? I just got an overnight shipment of Kona."

"No, not this time. I'll stick with the tea, thanks."

April had already poured the water and dropped the tea bag in the cup. She brought it to the table where Edmond had spread out the morning paper.

"Thank you," he smiled and took two lemon scones from the pastry tray she offered.

She then turned back to getting milk and other items ready for the rest of the morning crowd.

Edmond Worley and April Roberts had known each other for a very long time. They had met during their freshman year at Miami. Both started out on the same educational track and found they were in several classes together. Friendship came very easily. Lots of days were spent having lunch together and going over class notes. But nothing more ever arose from it. At the time, April was taking her classes far too seriously. And, even though Ed found her very attractive, she was just like the girls he'd dated in high school. Both were far too interested in all the new experiences offered by the university adventure to get involved with each other.

She paused to look at the man who had become her closest and dearest friend. She smiled to herself as she thought he was still the campus hunk, but now he was "Professor Hunk." That was a term she'd heard often during the semester changes. It seemed all the young girls couldn't wait to take Humanities from the ever so dreamy Professor Worley.

April supposed there was good reason for that. Edmond was tall and fit. The only things about his looks that were remotely professorial were the slightly conservative suit he tended to wear and the leather satchel he carried around campus. The suit always hugged his body just right. Edmond also had a very charming personality, and his passion for the arts and education came through during his lectures. It was no wonder at all that his classes were always full to the brim.

Of course, teasing him about his love struck students was a constant source of entertainment for her and the rest of their friends. It was his own fault, really. He could have grown a beard or let his hair go a little more unkempt. The oh-so-freshly-styled sandy blond hair was almost too much of a temptation to muss and ruffle as the brought him a second cup.

"What's that smile about," Edmond asked as he looked up from his papers.

"Oh, nothing," April covered but could not stop smiling.

"Nothing, my ass. You've got something you are dying to tell about, don't you?"

"You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?"