TILLA

TILLA

She lay abed, wrapped in pain.

When she opened her eyes, firelight seared them. When she breathed, the air sawed at her throat. She tried to wriggle in bed and froze at once; the blankets rubbing against her skin cut her like blades.

What had happened? Tilla could barely remember. Her mind felt foggy. Thoughts floated like clouds, and she could not grasp them. She recalled only training with a sword, and Prince Leresy touching her legs, and...

Nairi.

The memory thudded back into her.

The pain! The pain had pounded through her for so long, so hot, all consuming; it had rattled her teeth, raised welts across her, and twisted her fingers and toes. Tilla had thought her bones would dislocate and her skin shatter.

It's not my fault! Tilla had wanted to cry, but she could only scream, beg, weep, and fall into endless agony and darkness.

"Tilla!" a voice said, muffled and distant and echoing, a voice from another world. "Tilla, can you hear me?"

Tilla blinked. Two shadows stood before her, dark blurs upon orange light. It seemed the shadows were speaking, but the voices sounded so distant Tilla could barely hear.

"Stars, Tilla, can't you hear me?" one shadow said, speaking louder.

"Oh, bloody puke soup, Nairi did a job on her," said the other shadow. "I swear, I'm going to grab that woman's punisher and shove it up her fat arse!"

"Language, Erry!" said the first shadow. "I told you to watch your language. You're not living on the docks anymore."

"As if this place is any damn better! How about you go eat hairy donkey bollocks, Wobble Lips. Get your mouth dirty for once."

The two shadows began to shove each other. Groaning in pain, Tilla forced herself onto her elbows and blinked vigorously. Slowly the shadows came into focus, becoming two young women. One was pale and doll-like, her golden hair braided--Mae! The other was scrawny, her short brown hair rising in tangles--Erry! Her two friends didn't even notice her sit up; they were busy hitting and scolding each other. Oil lanterns lined the wall behind them, lighting a stone chamber with several empty beds.

"Will you two stop it?" Tilla demanded, voice raspy.

"Now don't you butt in!" Erry said. "This is between me and Wobble Lips, and--" Erry froze and her eyes widened. "Tilla! Sweaty codpieces, you're awake and talking!"

Tilla fell back into bed and groaned. "Barely."

At once, the two girls leaped onto her bed and began to bounce and cheer.

"You're alive!" Mae said and hugged her. "Oh stars, Tilla, I was sure she killed you."

Erry was bouncing up and down. "I knew our flight commander would live! We're going to make you strong enough to kill that rat Nairi someday."

Every bounce of the bed sent pain thudding through Tilla, and she moaned.

"Ow, ow!" she said. "Stop it. Please."

The two soldiers froze.

"Sorry!" Mae said and gasped. "I... did I hurt you?"

Tilla waved weakly. "Never mind that. Just... sit still and speak quietly. Where am I? How long have been sleeping?"