Eden- Chapter 1

Chapter 1-

"Shane. Shane, can you hear me?" The voice pierces into my head. I open my eyes. My best friend stands over me, her light brown hair falling into my face. I try to sit up, but pain shoots through my back, making it immposible to get up. Instead, I look her in the eye and say "What the Hell happened to me, Alexa."

" I don't know. One minute, you were fine. The next, you were on the ground. You were saying something about a man named Luckian." she replies. I can tell that she is scared. With pain shooting up my back, I sit up slowly. As I do, she puts a hand on my back. The pressure of her pushing keeps the pain away.

But, when I'm fully up, her hand rips away and she yelps in pain. I say "What's wrong."

She responds "My hand burns. It feels like firery acid." She turns her hand over and I see burn marks crawling across her fingers and palm. The marks spiral to sickening curved points on her wrist. But, not even one drop of blood is on her hand. The burns look like old scars or light colored tattoos.

"Oh my God. Did I do that?" I say. She looks around quickly and says "I don't know. But if you did, don't worry about me. I'll be fine." She turns around and grabs her purse. For the first time, I can see where we're at. Trees line the outside of the yard. A two story building sits to my right. Its windows are broken in and vines snake the walls and holes like tendrils. The SchoolYard. That's what my friends and I call it.

It's actually an old academy. It hasn't been used in years though.

I turn back to Alexa. She has a roll of gauze in her hand. Instinctively, I hold her hand steady as she wraps her palm. It has the worst burns. Her fingers look like they weren't even burnt at all. She stays silent the whole time she's working on her hand.

She finishes and puts the rest of the gauze back in her purse. Alexa turns back to me and says "Thanks. Listen, I want to ask you something."

"Anything. Ask away."

"We've been friend now for what, five years. I was just wondering if that's all we'll be. Just friends."

"Your asking if we will ever date, aren't you." I say. She looks away for a second then looks back. Her voice comes out soft and light, she says "Yes. That's what I'm asking."

I realize that I'm still holding her hand. I start to take it away but find it stuck. I look up. Alexa is looking at me. She says "Please, don't."

We look at each other for a few seconds. Out of pure instinct, I start to lean closer to her. My other hand reaches to the back of her neck. My lips part and my eyes close. Before I know whats happening, we're kissing each other.

We stay like this for about ten seconds. I pull back and look her in the eye. Alexa looks into my eyes, in turn. I say "What the Hell did we just do."

She replies "I don't know. But I loved it." She leans in again and softly kisses me. Her lips taste a bit like cinnamon. As we part again, I lean close to her. Our foreheads touch and so do our noses. I realize my fingers are intertwined with hers. I let go and put my arm around her. I give her my other hand, which she quickly takes.

We sit like this, in the growing Summer shade, for hours. But it seems like minutes. Alexa's phone vibrates and she looks at it and says "Crap. I've got to get home or my mom will have an Aneurism. Can you walk me home?"

"Sure." I reply. We stand up, still holding hands, and start walking to her house. About half way there, I ask "What are your parents going to think? About you and me."

"I don't know. And I don't care. I love you and I want to be with you." Alexa says.

I look ahead and see her brother, Zane, standing on the porch. My muscles tense up. I never liked him and still don't. He is a big guy. Six foot six, broad shoulders, and huge muscles. Oh, and he's the Quarterback for our high school Varsity football team.

Me on the hand, I'm barely six foot, a bit of a broad shoulder length, and lanky body frame. Compared to him, I'm tiny.

His arms are crossed in front of his chest by the time we make it close to him. I'm nervous and so is Alexa. I can tell by her voice. She says "I'll see you later Shane. Probably tomorrow, I guess." Her voice is shaking a bit. She gives me a quick kiss on the cheek and slips past Zane. He watches her move past him and looks at me.

At first, he doesn't look mad. I breath out a sigh of relief and relax a bit. But all of his rage comes back suddenly. I feel his hand around my neck. He picks me up and slams me against the wall of his house, hard.

The wind is knocked out of me, making it difficult to breath. The world spins unnaturally fast, and I think I'm about to black out. But I remember this feeling quite well. A mans voice speaks to me. He says,

Shane, you don't have the control or the power to fight him on your own. I will lend you my power to you. But be warned, you might hurt him badly.

Warmth creeps along my back and I feel stronger. I shrug my shoulders and the wind kicks up. Zane lets go of me and steps back. He says "What the Hell are you?"

"I don't know what you mean. I'm me." I reply. My voice doesnt sound like mine. It sounds like the man who was talking to me.

Zane takes another step back and yells "No. Your some kind of freak." He points to my back and I look. Pitch black wings envelope most of my arms. Angel wings to be exact. The warmth in my back intensifies closer to my shoulder blades than anywhere else. I hear the man again. He says,

This is my power. Soon to be your power as well.

Zane looks at me in horror. I step closer to him. He's pinned to the spot. I yell "This is for Alexa." I punch him in the nose and he goes flying a good five feet. He is unconscious by the time he hits the ground. I hear a door open and see Alexa standing by the door. She says "What the hell happened."

She looks to Zane then back to me. She then says "Are you alright?"

I sway backwards and fall. I expect my wings to stop me, but no. I hit the wood hard and black out. The last thing I see is Alexa running towards me.