Chapter One

Carmen’s Pov.

Waking, I found myself in a large dark room. It was dank and smelled as if something or someone had died in here. As I tried to sit up, I found that someone had tied me down, restricting me from any movement. I felt a wave of panic run through my body. Instinctively, I began to fight against the bonds, bit with no luck. From behind, I felt someone place a hand on my left shoulder. “Get off me!” I yelled.

“Calm down.” A man said. Somehow, he managed to calm me down, but as soon as that calming wave ran over me it was gone, and I started fighting again. “Calm down.” The man said again, this time more forcefully, but nothing happened. Sighing he moved his hand and went to the door. “We need you in here, Sir.”

“What for?” I heard a gruff voice say, and he didn’t sound impressed.

“This girl is not calming.”

“Have you used your power?!” He almost yelled.

“Yes, I have. It’s not working.”

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a tall man appeared in front of me, and walked up so I was looking directly at him. Placing a finger on my cheek and running it softly and slowly down and under my chin. Then, turning my face from side to side, he smiled, looking almost hungry, he said, “Beautiful face, and very, very beautiful features.”

“Get off me.” I snapped, snatching my head away from his hand.

“Well, it seems you are in need of some training, aren’t you.” He said, as he combed a lock of my hair.

“Train my ass!” I practically growled at him.

“Untie her, James, and follow me. I want to show her something.”

James untied the bonds and roughly pulled me up. Dragging me by the arm he followed the tall man to the end of the hall, where we were greeted by a massive door. “If you speak like that to anyone, you are mostly likely to be faced with this.” Tiny said, because he was so tall, I decided to call him tiny. But when he opened the door, I felt another wave of panic wash over me, this time mixed with fear. I felt my heart race and my breathing pick up pace as he leaned forward, so we at eye level. Looking me directly in the eye with cold, hard, heartless eyes, he said, “Because you are new here, I’m going to let you off, but next time, you won’t be so lucky.” Having said that, he walked away.

Looking back into the room, I was reminded of my year eight humanities class and what we learnt about medieval tortures. That’s what this room reminded me of. “Come on.” James said roughly, pulling at my arm, but I couldn’t move. I was frozen in front of this room, scared beyond anything. “I said, come on!” he said, slapping me across the face. Letting out a scream, I fell backwards.

I felt someone catch me and help me back to my feet. “What are you doing?!” A man said angrily, clearly not impressed. 

James’s eyes went wide with fear. “Nothing, sir, nothing at all.” He said shaking his head.

“It didn’t look like nothing. I want an explanation.” When James said nothing, the man turned me around to face him. “Are you alright?” As I nodded as he looked me over. “No, you’re not alright, you’re bleeding.” He pulled out what looked like a handkerchief and started to wipe the blood away from my cheek.

“I said, I’m fine.” I said, holding back tears, pulling away.

He looked at me sternly. “You’re not fine. Now don’t argue with me. I don’t want you to get hurt.” He pulled me closer and started cleaning the blood away again.

“Why should I listen to you?” I asked, staying put.

“You are coming home with me, where you won’t get hurt.” Then added under his breath, “I hope.”