Fairy Lights

Start writing your story

Fairy Lights

Nadine/Elizabeth

Christmas in the State Department consists of tree decorating, hot cocoa, and love.

Disclaimer: I do not own Madam Secretary or make any profit off this

Elizabeth rode to the State Department in silence, huddled up to the wall heater as the Maryland air nipped at her cheeks from outside. The sun was barely peaking through the frost covered trees and the world was painted in bleak shades of white, periwinkle, and grey. The lampposts that dotted the street were wrapped in golden lights and topped off by a wreath. Some of the nearby cafes and shops were adorned with holiday decorations as well.

As they approached the State Department, Elizabeth tightened her scarf and pulled her jacket more snugly around herself. She then proceeded to hop out of the car and into the chilly morning. It took all her self-control not to dash to the entrance as fast as she could, but when she did make it inside she sighed with relief. Taking the elevator up to the seventh floor she kept blowing on her icy hands. Having been in too much of a rush this morning, she had forgotten her gloves in the kitchen.

The elevator door opened revealing Blake, standing ready with her coffee and the day's assessment. "Good morning Blake."

"Good morning ma'am, we have several things to do this morning. A call with the Foreign Minister of China.." At Elizabeth worried look he added quickly, "Just a formality. Putting the last finishing touches on the peace agreement with Pakistan and Indian, and a review on the options for next years first international visit."

"Okay great, thank you Blake." She nodded, taking a sip of her coffee and heading towards the conference room.

time leap

Half of the day had passed and most of the day's agenda had been successfully completed. Well...minus her "formality" talk with the Chinese Minister. She was now sitting in her office, stabbing her salad without looking where her fork was landing because she was preoccupied with talking to Nadine. "The audacity of the man."

"You're telling me." Nadine agreed, rolling her eyes and winding the noodles around her fork. She was sitting across from Elizabeth, a binder spread out beside her and her glasses shoved messily into her black curls.

"Who even tries to take back pandas?! Especially now, right before Christmas!"

"The Chinese, apparently. It's a show of control, symbolism, a power play if you will." Nadine answers, unsuccessfully trying to stab a peanut in her Asian noodles.

"Oh screw symbols! Do you know how many people will loose it when this hits the news?!" She gestures wildly with her fork, sending a piece of salad flying across the room.

"I think that's what they're going for."

"Ugh, we're going to have to stay late now and there's supposed to be a huge snow storm today." Elizabeth groaned.

Nadine's phone chimed on the table beside her and she picked it up, struggling to pull the glasses from her hair to read the message, "Well you're day is about to get worse because Russell Jackson is pissed."

"About the pandas?!" Elizabeth asked, incredulously.

"It appears so."

"When does he want to talk?"

"He doesn't, he say he has better things to do then deal with your foolish slip up but he expresses his immense concern about the Chinese's intentions and demands that you fix it immediately." Nadine says, putting her phone back down.