Chapter 2: Roses

By the time Charlotte and Cooper finally left, my anxiety had increased immensely. From what I could gather from their conversation, I had indeed been at a party, although I have no memory of attending one. This could be because I was either extremely wasted or it has something to do with the injury that placed me here.

Neither Charlotte or Cooper had been with me at the party, which I found slightly odd. I mean, I had a ton of friends and everyone loved me, but they were usually the main people I hung out with.

Apparently while I was on my own at the party, something happened. Obviously. I mean I'm in the hospital. In a coma. That's what I gathered since, one, I can't move or open my eyes, and two, the doctors and nurses have been blabbing on about it nonstop today. I thought I would be scared by this revelation, but honestly, I'm relieved. They haven't mentioned anything about being paralyzed so that's a good sign.

Hopefully I can still be a cheerleader.

But, I'm still trying to find out what happened to me. Everyone thinks it would be fun to just avoid mentioning the exact turn of events which led me to being in a coma when they're in the room with me, which is such a fun time.

What's odd though is that after Charlotte and Cooper left a few days ago, the only visitors I've had were the nurses checking on me. My mom hasn't stopped by and neither has my dad, which is less surprising. I think the last time I spoke to him was when I yelled at him as he ran out of our house, drunk out of his mind.

He never came back.

After that night, I have not received a phone call nor an email. Not even a birthday card.

Although I've never truly had a father figure - at least not one that was sober enough to look up to - I think I've turned out alright. I mean, I'm the most popular girl in school with the hottest boy on my arm and a huge mansion to sleep in at night.

If I could just wake up already, I could go back to my perfect life and forget all about this nonsense.

"Visiting hours are up in fifteen minutes, kid," a deep-voiced nurse called from somewhere to my right.

"O-okay, I'll just be a minute," a slightly familiar voice whispered back, so quietly I had to strain my ears to hear them. I guess they were trying to be quiet as to not disturb me, but it didn't really work out too well. In fact, it only sent me on edge.

I heard the creak of a chair close to my bed and I started to grow curious as to who this person was and why they're here.

"Hey Allie... It's me, Jeremy." he spoke softly.

Jeremy? Who the hell is Jeremy?

He cleared his throat quietly, "I-I don't know if you remember me... I tutored you sophomore year in Pre-Calculus."

Ohhhhh... that Jeremy! The really smart, but kinda nerdy, sophomore who was in Calculus already. Because of him, I passed my midterm with a 97. Damn, how could I forget! That boy saved me from getting kicked off the cheer squad!

"I just wanted to come by and see how you were after the whole... you know..."

No I really don't know!!

He coughed slightly, "You don't deserve any of this. Even if most of the times I tried to talk to you, you ignored me or got your brick wall of a boyfriend to shove me into the lockers. A-and I know a lot of people don't necessarily... like you, but... I do. I know deep down that you're a good person and even if you weren't, nobody deserves to be in your situation."

My probably-damaged brain is trying desperately to make sense of what is spouting from his mouth, but I'm unable to.

I know a lot of people don't necessarily... like you.

What is he talking about? Everyone likes me - no. Everyone loves me.

Is that why nobody has come to visit you? My brain taunts me.

I want to yell at him or cry in frustration because I can't throw something at him. He's got it all wrong. Maybe he's thinking about another Allie! Yeah, that's it!

"I just want you to know that Ty is gone. You're safe now. Just, please, wake up soon." He practically begged me, his voice cracking slightly.

Ty? Is he talking about Cooper's best friend, Ty?

"Alright, son, it's time to go." a male voice calls from farther away.

No, no, no! Please stay! I need to hear more!

My heartbeat spikes slightly as I feel a warm hand lightly glide against my palm. His cool breath tickles my ear as he whispers softly, "You're going to be fine. Just hang in there."

Before my ears process the rapid beeping of my heart machine, footsteps echo as they exit my room, leaving me feeling cold once again.

-------

Jeremy hasn't come back.

It's been two days. I think?

It could have been two years for all I know. It sure feels like it.

All this time alone has given me lots of time to think.

Why did Jeremy say Ty was gone? Where is he? And how am I safe now? Am I safe from Ty? He's always been super nice to me, sometimes a little flirty, but has never caused me harm.

How are Charlotte and Cooper connected in all of this? Charlotte said she blames herself, but why?

And, one of the questions that has occupied my mind for the longest time was, does everyone hate me? After Jeremy left, I couldn't stop replaying every encounter I have ever had. I mean, yes, some girls are jealous, but why wouldn't they be? I'm perfect. All the guys love me because, I mean, I'm smoking hot. So, maybe Jeremy is just referring to the girls that wish they could be me!

That's what I keep trying to convince myself, at least.

------

"Ms. Bordeaux just signed in this morning," a nurse spoke as she checked my vitals the next morning.

Mom's here!

Relief flooded in my chest as I realized that I would finally have someone here again. It's been awfully lonely with only the voice in my head and Gordon Ramsay screaming at chefs on the tv to keep me company.

"Oh, I am so glad to hear that. I've felt awfully bad for this girl. She hasn't had a visitor in a while," another nurse answered.

"Well, except for that boy that drops flowers by every morning."

My heart swelled as I thanked God for Cooper. I really wish I could just kiss him right now!

With a new swirl of hope in my chest, I waited excitedly to hear my mom's voice.

Hours passed by and I waited. Waited.

At least five episodes of Hell's Kitchen had played since the nurse's left and still, no sign of my mother.

All I wanted right now, all I craved, was just to hear her confident voice as she commented on how lifeless my hair looks.

But, I never heard it.

She never came.

The nurses said she signed in this morning! Why hasn't she stopped in my room? Where else could she possibly be??

That fleeting hope that had brought me so much joy for a minute died instantly when I heard the flick of the light switches turning off and the lock of my door sliding shut, ending visiting hours.

Only the faint smell of roses kept me from giving up.