Alcoholic Numbness

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Chapter Four: Alcoholic Numbness.

I take another shot my vision starting to get blurry. I walk into what used to be the living room but is now what looks like a huge orgy. I smile to myself as I walk over and join a group of dancers letting the music and alcohol take me to a quiet world, where the monsters in my head disappear and the only thing that matters is the moment.

Seven hours later….

I snuggle closer to the warm body behind me. That is until I register that there is indeed someone behind me. I open my eyes and look around.

“What the hell,” I say as I sit up. Only I moved too fast and ended up falling off the table I was occupying.

My screech woke up the other occupant when I looked up I was met with striking blue eyes. No amount of therapy was going to help me comprehend what my very eyes were seeing. The other person who I was staring at, with I’m guessing a very comical expression, with my gaping mouth and wide eyes, was a very sexy, hung-over, and shirtless,

“Dr. Scott?” I whispered.

He didn’t answer he just sat there on the table while I broke my neck to gape at him. I don’t remember him being at the party. Come to think of it I don’t remember anything aside from arriving at the Lake House with Jake and Sarah. I really need to lay off the liquor or I’ll be a walking head case with no recollection of who I was.

As much fun as sitting there and having a stare down with my therapist was I had the sudden urge to throw up. I looked around frantically for a garbage can. Considering we were in the kitchen I figured it wouldn’t be a problem but the damn thing had run off. So I used the next best thing… the sink.

After throwing up half my body weight I washed out my mouth and slid to the floor with my back against the sink cabinets. I rolled my head and my eyes clashed with his again. He was still on the table with a stony expression on his face.

“Well, this is awkward.” I stated.

Without a word he got up and walked out of the kitchen, okay more like stumbled out, followed a few seconds later with the opening and closing of the front door.

“No, Dr. Scott I don’t need your assistants I just may have alcohol poisoning. Go ahead and take an evening stroll. Bitch.” I said to myself. The douche bag could have at least said hi. I mean I shared a table with him that’s a whole new level of close.

I groaned as I pulled myself up. Once the dizziness faded to a marry-go-round speed I debated on whether I should risk trying to walk or just go back to the floor and start crawling. Deciding to save some of my pride I attempted the first one. I got to the door leading to the living room and stopped in my tracks.

“Whoa,” was the only word that came to mind.

The floor was covered in bodies. We were like a colony of ants all packed into our little anthill. I narrowed my eyes zooming in to the corner. There snuggling like they were lovers was my brother and the garbage can.

“Bastard,” I hissed. Poking my tongue out, regardless of the fact that he couldn’t hear or see me.

I decided that going through all these unconscious bodies to find Sarah was going to be way to time consuming. So I took it upon myself to use my brain and think of a quick and effective way to find her.

“SARAH!” I screamed.

“SARAH!”

“SHUT UP!” someone yelled back.

“FUCK YOU!” I screamed.

“SARAH, WAKEY WAKEY!” I yelled.

I was about to get angry when a hand shot up in the middle of the crowd. I walked over to it finding Sarah laying there staring at the ceiling and Jeremy drooling on the leg he was using as a pillow. I pulled her up watching Jeremy’s head hit the floor all he did was roll over. Sarah looked down at her leg in confusion and wiped some of the drool off her leg.

“Ew,” was all she said as we walked up the stairs to my room.

 I walked into my the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet grabbing a bottle of aspirin and filling a plastic cup with water I walked over to the bed sharing the magical pills with Sarah.

Still not completely ourselves we both plopped down and fell asleep. The last thing running through my mind was how interesting my next appointment with Dr. Scott is going to be.