chapter fifteen

"Gordon Marcello." Gabrielle heard her date introduce himself, his hand outstretched to Leon.

The other man eyed it with disdain before completely ignoring it. How rude! "Where were you?" He demanded cooly.

It took longer than a minute for Gabrielle to comprehend the question had been paused to her. Even when she finally did, an answer played at the tip of her lips but no sound came from her mouth. Why was he angry at her? Sure she owed him an explanation since she was booked in his hotel, with his money and he sort of sponsored her stay there, but Gabrielle hadn't requested his aid. And how dare he be so uncouth to her friend, especially one that'd tried to be nice? Wasn't he supposed to be in America supervising the children's home construction?

Before she could stop herself, she shot at him. "What are you doing here?"

Leon stared at her with perplexity. An explanation formed in his mind but his mouth uttered nothing like he'd planned to. "That's none of your business. Why are you prancing about Paris with a stranger? Didn't I give you specific instructions that Josse is to escort you everywhere you go?"

He was beginning to get on her nerves and the anger she'd been trying hard to restrain was quickly fighting free. "I don't follow anyone's order. I owe no one an explanation. Not even you!"

In one, determined stride, he was before her, an iron grip that made her wince in pain on her upper arm. "You. Owe. Me. An. Explanation. Gabby." He ground as if explaining to a five year-old. "I'm funding your vacation! Yours, not yours with... with..."

Behind them, a nonchalant, icy, deep voice said, "if I were you I'd release her."

Gabrielle winced as Leon's grip tightened as he angrily spun them to face Gordon. "Who do you think you are? In fact, get out now!"

He nodded slowly, bringing his arm forward to check his wristwatch. With his composure unchanging, he faced the other man again. "The lady had a long day, she needs a bath and some rest. Not your strangulation. Release her."

That brought Leon's attention to her, causing her to look away. She was aware of her syrupy, disoriented appearance, her activities with Gordon memorable as daylight. They'd had ice cream and gone to the movies before dinner which had constituted of them, chefs and waiters and an entire, posh restaurant to themselves. Being lone customers had contributed to their unruly behaviour from eating everything in the restaurant to their childish games that winded up with both of them soaked in wine, a few -well a lot- of glassware broken and her ribs in stitches from laughing so much. It had been a long day, yes but a beautiful, long day that'd been permanently stored in her mind. Why Leon felt the need to ruin that was beyond her.

Ah, perhaps he was God-sent. If at all she wasn't mistaken that she'd been this close to kissing Gordon -a man she'd only just met- then Leon was a good timer. But that didn't give him the right to be boorish to her. She didn't deserve his barbarism and disrespect.

A loud thrashing brought her from her reverie and she tuned back to life in time to catch Leon toppling over to the ground. His head hit a pot plant before dropping to the ground. She yelped as he groaned in pain, beads of blood thumping to the ground. Goggle-eyed, she turned to the assailant who appeared as peaceful and innocent as a dove. "What have you done?!"

Gordon shrugged. "I tried to be patient... and nice." He covered the distance between them and kissed her cheek. "I'll see you tomorrow over business matters. Your benefactor needs first aid if not a good doctor for now."

Stone faced, he strode out.

***

She chewed on her nails nervously, pacing impatiently in the opulent bedroom. She forced her concentration to the soft, thick rug beneath her bare feet, fearing her pounding heart would implode soon over her panicky state. Josse had contacted a doctor who'd appeared so fast as if he'd been waiting for exactly that call and attended to Leon. It wasn't fatal and he'd wake up soon, the doctor had assured before leaving, but Gabrielle was beginning to think him a liar.

Why, she'd bathed and changed into clean and comfortable clothes before returning to the unconscious man's bedside but he hadn't blinked an eye or moved a finger! His breathing was steady, his long lashes beautifully slanted over his closed eyes and his pink lips close together. An hour was almost gone and nothing to reassure Gabrielle that Leon would wake up had occurred.

Oh, what had she done to him. Of course it was her fault for prancing about Paris with a stranger and bringing the same stranger back to the suite where he hurt Leon. How strong was he to knockout a man like Leon? Gabrielle remembered Gordon to be tall, very tall. About an inch over Leon. His shoulders were staunch, broad and his chest and abdomen hard. Not an ounce of fat. Just hard, ridges everywhere.

Her eyes fluttered shut, reminiscing the feel of his taut muscles beneath her. How they'd wounded in that intimate, mind-numbing position.

"Better run, Marcello" Gabrielle growled charging towards him.

His eyes widened as he thought up a reaction and Gabrielle grabbed the opportunity to splash a good amount of wine on his chest, wishing she was taller so she could get his hair and face the way he did her.

He began to run then, his own bottle in hand. "Come get me, blind eyes."

Her heels proved to be a hindrance to a good run so she stopped to wiggle them off. The enemy charged then, pouring his entire bottle over her. His height an advantage since he drenched her nicely from the middle of her head. "Beautiful!" He teased before howling into boisterous laughter.

That was it for Gabrielle, she saw red. The enemy was disadvantaged over his lack of weapons. And Gabrielle was armed. All she had to do was attain some height, and give him a good hair wash. Shooting him a murderous glare, she smirked with pleasure because he was still celebrating. His guard down. His thunderous laughter reverberating around the empty restaurant.

Now, just some height. Devilishly, she squinted her eyes on the table just behind Gordon -tall, opportunistic enemy- and plotted a quick climb. She approached slowly, quietly on her tip-toes and climbed the chair that offered a pedestal to climb the table. Victory!

"Got you!" And she began attacking. Her strategy she realized had a loophole as the enemy was quick to duck. Now more furious, she jumped on his back and tightened her grip on his neck. "You're dead!" She yelled as she gave him a wine shower. Right on that sleek, silky black hair.

"Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!" She celebrated, her pour unrelenting.

Gordon began to fight back, tickling her sides so that she loosened her grin. He was ruthless in his attack and she forgot her own weapon, laughing hysterically. She tried to wiggle from his back and managed to. The wet floor however had better ideas and the slippery ground had them toppling over in no time.

Somehow, Gordon got there first and she followed. Atop him. "Damn." He whispered at the beginning of their new battle. Staring.

"Forgive me," the breathless apology ended Gabrielle's stupor and she rushed to Leon's side.

How could her thoughts wander like that when a bedridden Leon needed her, especially since she was to blame for his situation. "Leon."

His eyes were still shut, a single tear trickling from the corner of his eye, and onto the bed. "Please forgive me, I didn't mean to leave you."

"I forgive you, Leon. Open your eyes now." Gabrielle pleaded.

"Sorry, and your mother..."

She frowned. "Leon_"

"Please, please forgive me." Gabrielle watched him, realizing he was blabbering. Did he suffer a concussion?

She ought to wake him. He was hallucinating. "Please, Leon."

"Sorry, I'm sorry, son." And he went back to silent slumber.

Gabrielle stared at him for what felt like forever. Son?

***
A/N

*sighs* Gordon is trouble. Leon is in trouble. Gabrielle is troubled.

Well, let's read their troubles and forget ours, aye?

If it's not too much trouble, leave me a comment and MY troubles-ending star!

Xoxo

Chocolatetheflavour