Part 20

"I've gotta say, that was pretty impressive." Darien said as we piled up the stakes.

He was on one side of the field, myself on the other collecting stakes. Our backs were to eachother which made it easier for us to talk somehow. The girls had already left and we were cleaning up.

"Oh a compliment?" I teased, "I'm seeing more and more niceness in you lately, hope that doesn't go away." I turned around and walked over to him.

"Well I'm trying to take it easy on you." He opened up a bag as I walked towards him for me to dump the stakes in.

I dropped the stakes into the bag and he tossed it to the side.

"Gee, that's real sweet of you. But does that mean that it's going to stop at some point?" I stood in front of him, hands on my hips. 

He took a step towards me, "I don't think it will, I may have misjudged you when we first met."

"Oh" I raised my eyebrows in amusement. "So, is this your form of apology?"  I said quietly.

He smiled, "If you want to take it as an apology, then it is." He replied in the same quiet tone.

"Oh I will, and I guess I should thank you then."

"Hmm," now he raised his eyebrows.

"Wha- shut up it's only cause we're having a nice moment, I realized... I never thanked you for setting me free that night. You couldn't locked me up, but you didn't. So thank you."

He let out a little laugh, God he had such a beautiful laugh. 

"You're welcome, I'm glad I did."

We just stood there smiling at each other in silence for a few seconds. When I realized it was getting awkward I was the first to clear my throat and break the silence.

"So," I looked down and then back up, "Uhm, I'm gonna get going, I'll see you tomorrow." 

I was about to turn around when he spoke up.

"Do you have any plans tonight?" 

I looked back at him a little surprised, "Plans? Uhm no, no I don't, why?"

"Well, we have to figure out a way to get Zane and Aria together right?"

"What are you trying to say," I smiled.

"You feel like checking out the cliff?"

I thought for a moment.

"Yea, sure."

"Great," he replied, "I'll meet you an hour?"

"Yeah, don't be late."

"Yes sir." 

He chuckled, "You good to walk home alone, or do you need some security?"

"After pinning down Jessila and Millicent today? I think I'm good for it," 

"Okay, holler if you need me." he winked.

I laughed and shook my head, "I'll see you later."

.

.

.

When I arrived at Cassandra's house, the girls were already in bed, Cassandra was up by the fire.