Golden Roots

Looking over my beautiful people, I was proud. Their dark skin contrasted upon the green hue of the grass. A bitter yet familiar scent of our most precious resource laced in the air. Even though I sat on my wooden divan, (long chair) high above the ground in my private balcony, I could still smell it. I could still see it. I could still taste it.

Gold.

The one thing that has made the power in my kingdom sustainable. Long ago, the days of when my wise ancestors were full of their youth, it was found.

A man by the name of 'Aweligo'(ah-way-lee-go), had ran from his prosecution, for...raping the princess of my country. He ran into the Kwanza River trying to drown himself, ashamed of his morbid actions.

But slowly, as he was dying in the river he spotted the glimmer. A rock that was glowing pure and whole. He swam up, now confused by its unfamiliar beauty. It had always been beauty which he had a weakness for. Diving down he grasped this attractive strange pebble and brought it up.

Now, Aweligo had decided to beg for forgiveness with this unique and intriguing new material.

He had began his journey to the king, gaining the attention of many people. He had concluded earlier that it was pricless, since no one had seen it before. People were fascinated by it and had asked to the whereabouts of his treasure. And all he could say was "It belongs to the king if he so chooses to accept it."

Soon enough he made it to the kingdom, scared out of his mind and worried for his life.

Bowing down he begged, "My King, I am sorry, Sorry for all the crimes I have committed against your daughter. I have brought a treasure of much value, for your mercy. I beg for your forgiveness. I wish I could undo my actions. The princess...I'm sorry for all that I have-" Aweligo began, but was cut off by his king.

"Silence! You have brought disgrace upon my daughter, and she is no longer pure. My daughter will no longer be married, since she has been corrupted. Her world has come to an end and now your, Life will too. As for this treasure, I will take it, since you are not worthy of anything. As to your death, there will be no mercy. My daughter's innocence is gone because of you. Your actions were merciless and so you shall die mercilessly." The king turned away from him disgusted, and hatred filling him.

King Rafondeo(rah-fun-day-o)waved his hand towards his ready guards. That gesture ended the worthless and disgraceful life of Aweligo.

King Rafondeo honored his daughter, by naming the treasure he took, Gold, after her.

Although the king did not realize it he had named the most precious resource of my people.

Gold.

This story has been told to every generation since that very day. And each time the princess's life saddens me. She was very young, sixteen, so new to the land. Yet the land was so cruel to her.

This is my Kingdom now, the land of Angola and I the queen of it. Queen Leonne Dahru Rafondeo, Great (five more greats) Granddaughter of Rafondeo. It is my time to lead my people to peace and prosperity.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A picture of Queen Leonne Dahru Rafondeo

New story

Vote

Comment

Also the romance will begin in the fifth chapter. But first we learn of the main character and her background.