27

Justine sat playing with her number two pencil in math class when school returned on Monday. She stared at the mix of numbers, her brain trying to find different ways to process them. Add. Subtract. Multiple. Divide. Reading the equations as if it was her first language, she worked on the surprise exam, trying her hardest not to fall asleep.

Her right elbow was propped up on the desk and holding the weight of her head as the other scribbled random numbers that appeared to make sense. Justine tapped away at the buttons on her calculator blankly as drool seeped from the corner of her mouth.

Wiping the tiredness out of her eyes, she went over the math one more time carefully, making sure that each answer was bubbled correctly on the scantron. Silently, she raised from her seat, using the attached table to help her, and approached the front of the class to turn in her test. The teacher gave a forced smile and Justine didn't bother to return it.

She had never had a math teacher like her, mostly because she was quick on picking up new concepts and teachers never liked students who knew more than them. It seemed like Justine was that way with all of her subjects.

When she returned to her desk, Justine was bored out of her mind. She played with the air in her mouth, tucking it into her cheeks like a chipmunk with berries and nuts before hibernation. Boy, did Justine wish she could hibernate. Life would be so much easier.

She rested her head in her palm and pouted quietly as she began a staring contest with the clock. It won. She huffed out a breath, placing her head onto the desk and careful not to give herself a concussion this time. Too many times she had let her head fall limp and bang the table, and too many times had she gained a wonderful hour of detention for doing just that.

It would be much more fun if Dax was here, Justine told herself, closing her eyes as her head balanced on her crossed arms like a bony pillow. But, yet again, everything was better when he was here. He would always make funny faces after tests and she would try her hardest not to laugh or draw any attention. Then they'd laugh harder when she failed miserably and they'd both get detention. The teachers would groan when they saw their faces that afternoon.

Justine smiled sadly as she reminisced. It was the first time she allowed herself to freely think of him since Saturday.

Deciding there was nothing else to do, Justine pulled out a notebook and flipped to a random page, seeing the sketch of the Saharan tree she had drawn two nights ago. Once again, she let the graphite tip of the pencil roam the page, adding even more detail than before.

"Psst," Charlotte whispered from beside her as she leaned over to get a better view. "That looks like an Indian bdellium-tree," she said as she studied the black and white art. Justine stared at Charlotte blankly. "You know," she continued nonchalantly as if it was common knowledge. "A commiphora wightii." Still no acknowledgment from Justine. "Oh, come on," she whined. "A gugal?" Nothing. "It's a flowering plant in the Burseraceae family." Her description was helping no one. Justine remained lost. "Most commonly referred to as a Myrrh tree?"

Justine made an 'o' with her mouth. "Yeah, I think I've heard of that before," she confessed, slightly less confused when Charlotte used the dumbed-down version.

"Because there is only fifteen minutes left of class and no lesson will be taught as of yet, anyone who has completed this exam is free to leave," the professor announced in a dull, monotone voice.

Grabbing her backpack with glee and flipping it over her shoulder, Justine got up and left, closing the door gracefully behind her as not to disturb any test takers. She wandered the halls aimlessly, trying her hardest not to whistle as she skipped and danced because class was technically still in session. She heard light footsteps behind her and turned around out of curiosity, but no one was there.