past lives

TEASER for the highly-anticipated The Beautiful Lie. Enjoy my lovelies! 😘
——————————

krista

There were times when you had to be silent, or keep your thoughts busy.

          This was not one of them.

          I mean, this man standing in front of me – ordinary looking, in any case, except for the fact he radiated power and authority – was definitely not the way I pictured the Prince of Darkness.

          He was Dracula.

          He was real; the bona fide original of the vampires. The creature behind the stories, and multiple (if not annoying) films, the man behind the legend... he was standing in front of me.

          The two women by his side purred, clinging to him as he fixated on Frost.

         "No hug?" He smirked, which was weird, considering his tone was flat and devoid of life.

          He outdrew his arms, but then stopped halfway, noticing how still we continued to be.

          "Come on, I'm not dangerous!" Flicking that away like it was a bug, he advanced.

          Frost growled lowly.

          "Back off, Vlad." He said, getting up slowly, fists by his sides, forever clenching. I'd seen Frost angry many times, of course, but they were nothing compared to this.

          So, I was free to guess the tales as truth, then. Vlad the Impaler was indeed the Dark Prince.

          The elder bloodsucker gave my boyfriend a stern look, although I could somewhat tell he wasn't what he came all this way for.

          How amazing. Another whack-job I didn't have time to deal with.

         "Oh, but I'm far too curious. She's Seraphim... yet she breathes beside you."

          I had to look up that word. I'd meant to, originally, when I met Pierce, but I must've been too busy grieving over the loss of Brad.

          I wondered ever briefly if it was to do with my heritage. I was an angel. Did it connect?

          Assessing him further, I quickly realized I wasn't afraid of this man. Sure, he was old and powerful, and that itself should be intimidating, but I wasn't feeling it. If I glimpsed further, I could see past the cool interior. He wasn't slightly threatening. In fact, he looked... sad.

          His eyes were sunken and blue, as if he was lacking in sleep (an action that was impossible for vampires). If he'd been nearly as long a vampire as speculated, I bet I would be tired too.

          His lips twitched in a smile. A small one, but it was nice nevertheless.

         "An angel and a vampire, who'd have thunk?"

          I rose from the bed, ignoring the plea in Frost's eyes to stay put. Obviously, there was bad blood between them, or at least horrible history. And my boyfriend wanted nothing to do with him, still.

         "So, where's your accent? Or are all the tales complete bullshit?" I asked.

          Dracula sniggered lowly, as his two groupies joined in, although the one with the vintage clothing was definitely faking.

          "I was born in Transylvania, indeed, but I lost my accent with time. I have lived in America since 1919." There was pride in his words and I felt like he could never be much of a threat, so why was Frost acting like this guy was surely about to rip his head off?

          His two significant others, however, looked like they wanted to cause us death. With that considered, seeing as all Vlad seemed to want to do was banter, I was far more intimidated by them.

         "So, why are you here?"

          Frost stared at me weirdly, I shrugged it off.

          Dracula, however, bellowed loud. I didn't think it was that funny. I mean, I was being serious. My boyfriend and I were right in the middle of something when he decided to interrupt.

          You know, right after the whole surrealism that was me losing my memory, I think we deserved more than fifteen minutes alone.

          Apparently that was too much to ask for.

          Fucking dick.

         "Isn't it obvious, Seraphim?"

         I gasped, Frost did too. There was that word again. That thing Pierce called me the morning we met. My boyfriend had taken it the wrong way, but I knew it couldn't be from me being a demon, because I was the exact opposite.

          "I came for you."

A/N—The Beautiful Lie will begin uploading sometime in 2023. I know it's been a long wait, and I apologise, but writer's block strikes everyone. See you soon, beauts! :D

Huggles and wishes, Paige xx