Ch. 13 (part 2)

The path we had chosen was winding, narrow, and filled with thwacking branches eager to meet our stunned faces. 

"Are we any closer?" Madison said as she ducked from another incoming branch.

I swatted it away. "Closer to what?"

She let out more noises to show her displeasure. "I don't know. Anywhere but here." She dodged another branch.

"Would you shut up, I'm tired of hearing you whine," Bobby said from somewhere ahead of us.

Madison gasped. "Well, excuse me for voicing my opinion."

"No one cares about your opinion," Bobby snapped back.

Even I felt that was harsh, though I'd be lying if I said a small part of me didn't agree.

Bobby stopped, and moved somewhere out of view. Miller dropped down as a thick branch whacked Madison square in the face. She fell to the ground in agony.

"What the hell, Bobby?" She held her face and groaned.

"Are you okay?" I knelt down.

She shooed me away. "Don't touch me." 

I didn't blame her. The last time I touched her I got carried away, and nearly drained her dry. I walked past her and met up with Miller.

"Find anything useful in that thing?"

He looked up from his book. "I wish. I've had to put one book aside, because I still can't read whatever language it's written in, and this one may be readable but it still makes no sense." He slammed the book shut, and put it in the sack.

"Well, if anyone can figure it out, it's you." I rubbed my hand against his shoulder and smiled.

His face turned red, and he turned from me as he walked away. "We should see where he went."

I looked back at Madison, still moping on the ground. "Are you coming?"

She pouted. "What's the point?"

I made my way back to her. "I think the point is making it out of here alive." I knelt down beside her. I pulled my hands away from her. "I know. Don't touch." 

A sour look came over her face as she sighed. "I know that nerd-brain over there said time's funny here, but I still don't like knowing he's alone with that woman." She pulled her knees close to her chest and wrapped her arms around them.

I wanted to reach out in comfort--for some reason, maybe the air is poisonous here--but held firm. I doubt I'd drain her this time, I didn't feel the hunger at all, but Madison was still weary of me. I could catch glimpses of fear whenever I stood nearby. 

"It's going to be alright." My voice was as soothing as possible.

She held her legs tighter against her chest. "As if. We're in some messed up magic nightmare. Who knows if we'll ever get home." She hid her face from me, her strawberry-blonde hair hung over the side, sheltering her tears from view.

Consoling someone without touch, a near impossible task; more so if the one you're trying to console is a noted "enemy".

"I know," I said, fear masked in confidence. "If we can break my curse, I just know this will all work out." I leaned in, my expression one of hope--though behind it I wore one of doubt.

She turned to me, her hair parted ways to reveal her somber expression. The mascara ran down her face, her eyes glistened with tears. "I can't leave him with that woman. He'll never be free living under her." Her voice grew low. "I'll never be free."