Chapter Thirty-one

Chapter Thirty-one

“Is everybody okay?” Ryan stared around at us, eyes raking over our bodies, not believing the shaky nods were gave him.  At his feet lay the bodies of two men.  They weren’t moving.  Almost every inch of their skin was covered by the black uniform they wore.

So it was the terrorists, then.

Of course it was; I’d never really thought it was anything else.  Still, to see them finally, at such close quarters, it was shocking.  I gaped down at their prone figures, fingers not even twitching. 

“What’s happening?” Maggie asked shakily. 

“We’re under attack,” Ryan told her shortly.

I made a face.  We knew that!  But why?  Were they after Cloud Nine, did they know that it was here, that that’s what this place was for?  I knew that was what Maggie had really been asking.  Ryan probably did too; he just wasn’t telling. 

“Ryan, I’m scared,” Melissa mumbled from the depths of his shoulder, where her face was still hidden. 

Tilting his chin down so that he could look at his cousin, Ryan’s face softened. 

“I know,” he said quietly.  He dropped the soldier’s cool he’d been adopting and reached up to hug her, one hand still awkwardly holding on to the gun.  I eyed the length of shining black muzzle nervously, hoping the safety was on.  “I’m going to move you,” he said, eyes flicking up to rake across the four of us.  “Put you somewhere safer.”

“Where?” Connor asked, but Ryan ignored him. 

“Right, it’s quite chaotic out there.  But stay close to me, do what I tell you, and you’ll be fine.  Boys,” he looked sharply at Connor and me.  “You’re responsible for your sisters.  Do not lose them.”

My breath blew out in a ragged gasp as I felt the gravity of his words.  Anna’s life in my hands.  I wasn’t sure if I was entirely comfortable with that.  Suddenly hyper aware of the seriousness of the situation, I flashed my eyes across the bodies of the dead terrorists again.  Were there weapons concealed amongst the sprawl of limbs?  But even as I thought it, I rejected the idea.  I just couldn’t see myself holding a gun.  Pointing it at someone.  Shooting.  I couldn’t imagine myself trying to kill someone; even if they were trying to kill me.

“Time to go,” Ryan said, then he stepped back, pulling Melissa with his, and leaving the door, the exit, wide and clear.  My eyes widened.  He wanted us to lead the way?  It wasn’t really the moment for questions, though, so wrapping my fingers firmly round Anna’s hand, I started forward into the dark.

It was uncomfortable, stepping over the hunched figures of the floor.  I tripped and danced my way over them, convinced – even though I knew they were dead – that a hand would suddenly reach up and grab at my ankle.  They didn’t move, though, and all of a sudden the corridor was clear, the dark challenging me to find a way through it.  Anna was at my shoulder, sticking as close to me as she could, and I felt the fear radiating from her.  I squeezed her hand as I tugged her gently forward and she squeezed back.  I half-smiled at that.  At least we were in this together.

Before long the entranceway was in sight.  Hazy grey light filtered down.  Enough for me to just make out a blur of movement in the world outside.  Enough for me to catch the silhouette, leaning furtively against the wall just beyond the door.

I stopped dead, my heart in my throat, my thoughts back with the guns lying uselessly outside our rooms.  Anna, unprepared for my sudden stop, bumped into me.

“What’s wrong?” she breathed.

“There’s someone there,” I whispered back.

“It’s fine,” Ryan said, much too loud.  I cringed back a step as the silhouette pushed off from the wall.  “It’s okay,” he repeated.  “It’s Steve.  Davies!” he called out in a voice just loud enough to travel to the door, not beyond.