Winter Malfunctions

It was a cold crisp morning that could send shivers up a spine. A soft pillow and a fluffy warm blanket was the deathtrap that made me stay in bed for an eternal slumber. As my alarm clock rang at 6:30, I rolled out of bed and thoughts of the dread of going to work came running in my head. I got up from the hard floor and looked out the small window in my room, it was the perfect view of the city covered in a white blanket. I walked over to my small closet and took out the clothes that I would wear. I chose to wear black boots, my blue skinny jeans, and black long sleeve shirt to go with it. I also wore a gray beanie that I got as a gift. I got out of my room and went to the small kitchen in only a couple of steps, I found a note on the kitchen table which said

Dear Luna,

Sorry for the short notice, I won't be coming back home till around 8:00pm. I have some important things to finish and I'm visiting grandma for a little bit. You should go visit her today too. There is still some leftover pancake batter in the fridge if you want any.. See you tonight.

Your cousin, Damian.

P.S. don't forget to buy the cake and merry christmas.

Typical. I crumpled up the paper and threw it in the trash can. Of course by the time he comes back from his trip, he won't spend time with me. Damian and I have been together since we ran away from home. His parents were divorced and mine thought I wasn't suited for the family. Damian's parents ended their marriage when he was only 9 years old; his dad was abusive to him and his mother would be swinging around with other men, barely paying any attention to him. He was left alone to fend for himself and neither my uncle or aunt cared. Me on the other hand was thought of as a mistake and my older brother got all the love and glory from them. I tried everything to make them happy: improving my grades, giving them money, and obeying them in every way. But I wasn't enough like my brother was, and they thought their daughter was just another person in the world you see once and forget. Later I started to rebel against their wishes, beating up kids for the fun of it, constantly getting in trouble with the police, and having the nerve to define whatever they said. But of course I brought Damian down with me. I was at the age of 15 and Damian was 18 when we left our hometown and went to go live in New york where our grandmother lived. Neither Damian or I have spoken to our parents in ten years.

I walked to the fridge and grabbed the leftover pancake batter, some milk, chocolate, and some butter. I put a frying pan and a sauce pan on the stove and started preparing breakfast for myself. I put the milk and chocolate in the saucepan and started making pancakes with the butter and batter in the frying pan. Once I was finished I placed my mug of hot chocolate and a plate of fluffy pancakes on the kitchen table, the entire apartment smelled like a sweet bakery. As I started eating, I looked at the large window by the small living room, I saw the people and cars below making the city look more lively and busy by every sound becoming louder and louder. Once I was finished eating I placed the dishes in the sink and went to grab my dark briefcase placing my laptop and important papers in it. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 7:30. I grabbed me black overcoat, put it on, grabbed my briefcase and headed out the door.

I was on the fourth floor of the building so I took the elevator. The doors opened and I stepped in and luckily no one else was in the elevator with me. I pressed the button to go down to the lobby and after a few seconds the door reopened again. I walked out the elevator and headed for the front doors. I greeted the doorman and he waved at me as he held the door for me. I waited outside to spot a taxi to go to work in the freezing cold air. Soon the doors of my building opened again and it was him, Jason Stone. He lived in the same building as me but his apartment was in the penthouse in the top floor. As he looked over at me his morning his smile faded and so did mine. We glared at each other, that I could see the hate in his eyes when he looked at me and mine weren't no different from his. I looked behind him and I saw a taxi coming to my direction, taking the opportunity I whistled very loudly and the taxi was soon near me.