t w e n t y - t w o

eddie could hear people whispering, watching; stalking his every move even before he entered the school. he walked shyly, head down where his curls fell into his face. his name along with richie's floated in the air, like the soft breeze.

his fanny pack felt empty without his phone sitting in it. he felt bad for making stanley and bill look for his phone when they were clearly busy. but his momma would have killed him if he turned up empty handed. she didn't ask so he didn't say anything.

he shoved his lilac gloves into his pockets, his cheeks flushed from how cold it was. chilly winds past through his coat as if it was shear and his spine shuddered with frigid temperatures.

he met up at the spot where he usually met with the losers, just behind the school, talking among themselves in confusion.

"euh-euh-euh-eddie?" bill asked quietly when all eyes landed on him. eddie's brows furrowed in perplexity, seeing all their worried looks and richie's absence.

"what happened? is richie okay?" eddie looked at stan, whose hands were fiddling with one another nervously and looking off. "stanley?"

"something's off," stan quickly regained his posture, swiftly kissing bill on the cheek, who immediately reddened in surprise and embarrassment. "i'll be back soon."

eddie watched as stan ran off out of the school's property in puzzlement. "what was all that about?"

bill didn't answer, still seemingly stunned back the fact that stan had kissed his cheek, gently running his gloved fingers over the area. mike, as well, seem distracted by stan and bill's love life, asking series of questions to with bill flushed even darker.

ben and bev didn't seem as intrigued, more worried as they glanced around them as people whispered softly, pointing and staring at eddie. "why is everyone looking at you?" ben asked softly, fear leaking into his usually calm and composed tone. eddie shrugged, trying his best to stay calm. it was probably nothing.

"c'mon, let's go inside," beverly said softly, ushering everyone to walk through the school doors rather than just hanging outside where it was finger numbing cold. eddie followed the taller boy inside but he wished he hadn't.

he felt his shoulders freeze up in fear, suffocating the poor asthmatic boy. his tummy twisted into knots when he saw the word written on his locker;

FAGGOT

his head spun with confusion as people stared, snickering under their breath as eddie tried to pry his eyes away from the absolutely horrible word that had been carved into his existence as eddie 'faggot' kaspbrak.

"eu-ed-eddie," bill tried to pull the much smaller boy away from the scene but eddie wouldn't budge. he felt as if every breath was underwater, waves upon waves crashing onto him as he tried to reach the surface. but something had gotten hold of his ankle, dragging him down deeper, and deeper, and deeper...

"lu-let's go," eddie nodded slightly, finally taking his eyes off the crude word written in black spray paint. he fumbled with his fanny pack, pulling out his inhaler and shaking it harshly. he brought it to his trembling lips and let the air travel down his throat and into his lungs. it didn't help.