Saturday: With a Bullet (26)

Michal
eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I can still see the shocked look on Justin's face right before he fell. He had whipped his head around to sneak a peek over his shoulder, and our eyes locked.

My face was covered with a stupid mask, but the expression on his face told me that he recognized me. I don't know what gave it away--my stature, the way I ran, the sound of my scream, the look in my eyes--

I don't know, but somehow Justin's look made me stop short. This is silly. It's stupid. Game over.

Then he ran into his brother, who had halted just before the edge.

I hadn't seen the cliffside. It kind of blended into the night, the trees and the shadows obscuring clear view.

But if I'd known--if I'd stopped sooner--

Where have all the good men gone?

I groan, squeezing my eyes shut against the abominably loud blaring music. My head almost feels like it's throbbing in tune with the beat.

Late at night I toss and turn
And dream of what I need....

"MICHAL! MICHAL, WAKE UP!" Nolan's voice pierces my ears, and I snap my eyes wide open.

The first thing I notice is that my left wrist is bound to the armrest of a wooden chair with some sort of rusty shackle. My ankles are bound to the chair's legs too.

I NEED A HERO!
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night...

My right hand had been left free for some odd reason, and I wrestle with the heavy metal, but it's locked. I need a key.

He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight...

"MICHAL, GET ME OUT OF HERE!" Nolan shouts, and I look up at him.

He's chained to a chair across from me, and a long table separates us. Unlike me, he doesn't have any free hands.

He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life!

A gun rests on the surface of the table. Its handle is angled conveniently for me to easily grab. I lock eyes with my brother.

Somewhere just beyond my reach
There's someone reaching back for me...

I struggle against my chains and tug against the padlock, but to no avail. With a loud frustrated sigh, I quickly survey our surroundings. A single fluorescent light bulb hangs somewhere from the ceiling, casting pale, bluish light over our dim situation. Nolan's face almost looks like a skull.

My headache worsens.

I NEED A HERO!
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night...

Old tables and overturned chairs scatter the walls of our prison. A wooden door lies in one corner. It's shut. An open doorway occupies the wall to my right. An unsettling blackness returns my stare.

He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast...

The ceiling is low. There's a speaker mounted in one corner. We're most likely still somewhere inside the sanitarium.

He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon...

"Michal!" I return my gaze to Nolan, and his eyes are as wide as saucers. He jerks his head up. "Look!"