Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12/Information and Separation

When my eyes opened again I was still in the Ministry, Death Eaters replaced with Ministry Workers and Dumbledore standing over me with an expression of deep concern.

"Harry, are you alright?" His voice was soft but it still made my head pound. Weakly I nodded, propping myself up onto my elbows, wincing at the stiffness in my joints. Looking around I could see Ministry workers hurrying busily around, checking evidence and recasting protective spells.

The Minister was standing next to the fountain, small hands wringing miserably as an Auror spoke to him.

"Sir, I swear I saw him. I saw You-know-who! I swear it!" He said it as though Fudge did not believe, but Fudge looked shaken enough that I was sure he had seen it himself.

"I know, Williamson. I saw him to. My God, he was actually here. Of all the places." He shook his head, looking terrified and miserable, and even more so when Dumbledore approached him.Not wanting to be left alone in the Ministry I pulled myself up to my feet despite the ache, following after him.

"If you proceed downstairs to the Department of Mysteries, you will find certain escaped Death Eaters, along with a few reformed ones, bound by anti-disapparation jinx awaiting your decision on what to do with them." I could hear Dumbledore say as I neared. Fudge's skin paled drastically.

"Williamson, go!" He barked. Williamson nodded before leaving, and Fudge turned to Dumbledore, nearly trembling.

"What happened?"

"I would think that obvious, considering what you saw with your own eyes, Cornelius."

"Dumbledore, I demand you tell me everything." Fudge's cheeks had gone red. Dumbledore nodded, unphased.

"In due time. Once Harry is safe and back at school."

"Harry Potter!" Fudge asked, glancing at me for the first time. I stared back impassively at the small wretched man. Fudge grimaced before turning back to Dumbledore, who had picked up a piece of the Magical Brethren statue and tapped it with his wand. It lit up a familiar bright blue. Fudge scowled.

"Now see here, Dumbledore, you are not authorized that port-key. Especially here in the-" Fudge started noisily. But Dumbledore's eyes narrowed, and I wondered if Dumbledore's patience wasn't as giving as it may seem at times.

"Cornelius, you will now listen to me! You will give the order to remove Dolores Umbridge from Hogwarts. You will stop hunting for my Care of Magical Creatures Professor. You will alert the Daily Prophet of Voldemort's actions here tonight, and you will give medical attention to my students, new and old, below! And your healers will stop trying to take my student to the mental ward! I expect her dropped off shortly at Hogwarts with the best of escorts. I will return in a short time. Letters addressed to the headmaster of Hogwarts will reach me." Dumbledore said in a clipped tone before coming to me, his expression softening.

"Ready, Harry?" He asked. I nodded quickly. Dumbledore smiled then, a quick movement of the lips before he held out the port-key. "On three, then."

I listened as he counted down, reaching out and grabbing onto the statue piece as he uttered the word 'three'. The world snapped before us, and soon I found myself standing in noneother thn Dumbledore's office, dizzy and very, very tired.

Dumbledore left my side, going to sit at his chair behind the desk while I managed to slide into the seat across from it. I felt numb. Emotions swirled inside my stomach, making knots while on the outside I was still, unable and unwanting to move. Dumbledore stared at me with sadness.