.Chapter • Harlot;

She and Charles emerged from the stables in time to spy his majesty, the king with Anne Boleyn, making their way toward them. Kitty froze in place, her breathing hitched. Beside her Charles stood, he placed his hand to her shoulders, turning her to face him.

"All will be well," he assured, his eyes locking with her's. She felt her heartbeat steady and nodded slowly. Charles always had a way of calming her nerves.

He kissed the top of her head swiftly before taking her hand and turning to greet their king. She did not miss the stormy gray that were the king's eyes as he approached. They had been on his friend, Suffolk. Kitty knew, she had seen it once before with Henry, he was jealous.

Kitty could not ask nor would she of either man. They were friends and had been so long before her. Instead, she knelt, skirts billowing around, and greeted her sovereign.

"Your majesty," he raised her to her feet, kissing her knuckles softly before bringing Anne back to his side. Kitty sucked in a deep breath and met those dark eyes. "Lady Anne."

Anne smiled, a breath of air visible as she let out a shaky laugh. She had been nervous, just as Kitty. They were once good friends, once. But that was no more and both had known it.

"Oh Kitty," Anne came forward, arms extended wide, and embraced Kitty. She held her tightly, laughing still. "It has been so long," she said, pulling back, "I have missed you dearly."

Kitty looked at Charles and then Henry, both men watched on. Henry wore both a smile and a look of relief. It had been Charles who did not smile, least not a real one. His eyes, however, were warm. She felt better knowing he was there for her if need be.

She allowed Anne to take her by the arm and lead her around. Kitty quickly learned Anne had been in need of this, a friend to confide in. She could not shake the guilty feeling that took hold of her. Guilty for conversing with Anne and guilty for having abandoned Anne as well. She felt torn.

"I have heard from our king that you left England for Spain," Anne's sharp voice drifted through Kitty's conflicted thoughts. "Was that wise?"

"As you may know, Lady Anne, my mother is from Spain. She came to England the same as our queen, in fact, she had been in her service at the time. Well," Kitty smiled at the growing discomfort visible from Anne at the mention of Katherine. "Never had I met my mother's side, it was a perfect opportunity, being that I could no longer be in service to our queen."

Fury darkened her eyes, yet she held her composure. Kitty looked past her shoulder to find Charles a few paces behind, in conversation with Henry. His head was turned, letting her know he was listening. He would intervene before this conversation took a turn, she had been certain.

To further prevent things from escalating, Kitty decided to bring the subject back to Anne, "And you, Lady Anne, how have you been? I have heard there are to be congratulations all around. Your father, brother, and even your sister, a son, I hear."

"Mary is quite pleased with herself, and the King has been so gracious to George and our father. Thank you, Lady Katherine. I have been well. The king had been gracious to me as well."

"I'm sure you've been kind in return," Kitty realized too late she had spoken her thoughts out loud.

Anne stopped, pulling her arm free and turning Kitty to face her. "What do you mean by that?" She flared.

All that she had tried to avoid crumbled before her. She had been slow to think, forgetting her sick mother and exhausted father. Worst, the king had been present to witness as Anne's fury erupted.

She could hold back no more, the damage was done. Kitty only prayed she'd be forgiven, God knew her mother would. But it was father she worried for. Anne was all powerful and held the king's ear, if she so willed it, Devonshire would fall hard.

"You heard me!" Kitty retorted, her own temper roaring to life. So much she had wanted to say to Anne. So many names she wished to call her.

"Indeed, I had thought you to be different. I believed we were friends!"

"You believed wrong," Kitty hissed. "I wouldn't dare associate myself with a harlot!"

"Lady Katherina!" Her world froze. Eyes wide, she stared at Anne's red face, not daring to turn around.

Henry did not reprimand her as she had feared her would in that moment. Instead, he held out his hand to Anne who came willingly and announced they would be leaving.

She had been told to wait inside for word from her father after the king had gone. From the parlor, she had a view of the drive. There she was able to watch as the king rode on, his party following with.

Katherine did not have to wait long. The moment the king was out of sight, she heard footsteps hastening for the room and in he walked.

Devonshire stood in the doorway, Charles no where to be seen. Kitty prepared for what was to come. She could feel tears stinging her eyes, threatening to flow. She would not cry. Any lashing from her father had been well deserved and she would take it.

But no words came, only a look of disappointment before the Duke turned to leave the room. And then Charles entered. He closed the door behind him, something a man was never permitted to do with a lone woman who was not his wife. But it had been Charles, her Charles. No one thought any different of it nor was there any reason for them to.

In just a few long strides he was across the room, by her side and pulling her into his arms. The dam broke, letting free the flood she had tried to prevent. She sank in his arms, sobbing uncontrollably.

Like before, when she had been a child, Charles held her tightly and sat with her until the tears stopped and her breathing regulated. And then, he carried her to her bed where he left her maid to look after her.

• January 19, 2018
More for my future self than anything.

Also quite satisfied with this rewrite of this chapter. That's why I took so long to update. The way Anne and Kitty fought didn't sit well with me, so I ended up rewriting the whole chapter. Wayyy better.