Wreck this Journal

Wreck this Journal

Prologue

“Stop staring, Elle.”

     “I’m not staring,” I murmured into my palm, elbows propped into the cafeteria table.

     “Oh really? You—Elle Peirce—are not eye raping Cam Hari—“ I cut my best friend off, slapping my hands over her mouth in a vice like grip.

     “Shhh…” I hissed. “Don’t say his name!”

     “Okay, you’re just hard-core staring at he who must not be named.” The girl then laughed at her own joke and in return I shot her a glare.

     “Shuddup geek,” I nudged her shoulder and rolled my eyes. And then I settled back and turned my attention to the back most part of our chaotic cafeteria. A small sigh left my lips as I set my chin on my laced fingers.

     “You know, someday he’s going to find out what a crazy stalker you are.”

     My face turned down, “I’m not a crazy stalker.”

     A smile tugged at my best friends lips. “Oh yeah, you’re just a simple girl who HAPPENS to walk behind he who must not be named in the hallways almost everyday and just HAPPENS to always be looking in his direction.” She said this all very dramatically—obviously dripping with sarcasm.

      I just smiled at her. “Exactly. It’s all coincidental that I happen to look in a certain direction or that I happen to walk behind certain people.” I waved off her comment before glancing back to the farthest table. “But someday, I’m going to talk to him…”

     “And I wont be around to get puked on again.”

     “Anna,” I whined, “I just had a bad chimmy chonga for breakfast!”

     My friend lifted a hand and began to pat my back sympathetically. “Sure, sure,” then, she looked at the clock once more and huffed under her breath, “Where is Kellan, anyways?”

     I think that she was just speaking rhetorically but still, I answered. “I don’t know, he left Math early this morning and was heading to the nurses but he didn’t look sick at all to me. He’s probably just ditching to sneak out for a good lunch,” I reasoned. “And not take that horrible test that we had…”

     But, of course, my friend was not listening to my brilliant conclusion and instead had her nose to her cellphone. I frowned at her, sticking out my tongue, only doing it when knew that she wouldn’t see the gesture. “Next time, I’ll grab your tongue. And then he who must not be named will finally know that you exist the embarrassing way.” I sucked my tongue back in, straightening away from my friend. I know that she would actually do that… it’s happened.

     Clamping my mouth closed, I leant in to look over Anna’s shoulder so that I could read her text instead. But, she turned a fast glare at me, holding the screen to her chest defensively. “Is that your internet friend?” I asked with wiggling eyebrows.

      “No,” she snarked back.

      “Oh,” I nudged her shoulder, “Don’t lie to me… I know it’s that boy…” I poked her cheek, trying to poke the words out of her. “It’s him, right? Right?” poke, poke.

     She slapped my hand away, “fine, it’s Empathy021. But, it’s not like I’m serious. He’s probably some forty years old who’s balding or something. I’m not stupid… it’s just… he’s kinda sweet.”