Chapter 4 - Nincompoop

I feel like an idiot.

After Alex uttered those words from his mouth, I was really stunned. Not because of what he said, but because of what he did. He was going to detention because he wants to 'spend time with me'. And I'm not saying this because I'm flattered or anything because I'm not. I'm not the type who gets flattered over some cheesy lines from a good looking guy. In fact, I hate flattery. That's just plain dumb; the fact that you're leading a person on.

When Alex said those words and left, I just stood there in the hallway like a lost puppy. In all the classes that I have left, my mind was preoccupied with thoughts about what that jerk said. I was pondering on why he was willing to go to detention. I don't believe that he will go to detention because he wants to 'spend time with me'. I'm too old to believe that nonsense. Because come on, who in their right mind would go to detention with a person they don't know and only just met? That kind of things only happens in books and movies.

I think he has some evil plan because like I said earlier, he's an angel-faced devil. He looks so sweet and innocent on the outside, but dark and evil on the inside.

It was after the bell rang that I got snapped out of my thoughts. When I realized what I was thinking about, I let out a scowl. I can't believe I spent those whole hours thinking about what he said. I'm so stupid. This is exactly what he wants. He wants me to fall into his trap, and when I'm defenseless, he'll strike at me. Like any plotting-devil like him would do.

I angrily stomped towards the parking lot. Not bothering looking to where I was going, my body collided with something hard that I was instantly thrown backward on my butt, my books scattering on the floor.

I let out another scowl. This day couldn't get any worse now, could it?

Getting up on my knees, I started picking up my things while grumbling, "Stupid, stupid, stupid."

Just as I was about to pick up the last book, a hand beat me to it. I carefully looked up and saw a pair of shining brown eyes looking back at my chestnut ones. They were absolutely stunning and captivating. A pile of a bit-messy brown hair that hung on his head almost reached his eyes. Everything about his face was sharp, yet at the same time soft. The striped polo shirt that he was wearing showed off his well-toned body. And his lips were-

My eyes widened when I realized I was checking him out. I was checking out Xenon (yes, as in the noble gas in the periodic table) Woodrow.

Holy grilled buttered mackerels.

"I am so, so, so sorry. I wasn't looking," I instantly apologized to him the moment I snatched the book out of his hand (yes, I actually did that) and stood up. That was just a bit too cliché for my liking.

As he copied my movement, he ran a hand through his hair. "Nah, it's okay. I wasn't looking either." He let out an apologetic and a bit nervous smile.

Nervous, but absolutely adorable and cute. I don't even know if a person can be both cute and adorable. I mean, that's not even fair. But one thing is for sure: he's tall. Like, six foot tall. Even though I'm a good five foot five, I still had to look up a bit to see his face.

A moment of silence went by without anyone of us speaking up. I just fumbled with the books in my hands to distract myself and let my eyes drift anywhere but him.

Okay, this is awkward.

Finally getting tired of this awkwardness, I decided to break the ice. "Okay, bye." I gave him a small wave and quickly took off. Yeah. Definitely awkward.

The moment I reached my bike, I placed my books in the basket and pedaled as fast as I could. I'm not using a bike because I don't have any money to buy a car, because I have. It's just that a car seems a bit too shabby for my liking. And also because my parents don't want me to have a car 'til I reach eighteen. Sucks, huh? Well, not really. I don't want to own a car anyway. Bikes are more convenient and much cheaper. And much safer for the environment (yeah, I'm an environmental nut).