Chapter Three: Underground

Alex awoke suddenly, feeling her cheek flaming against the cold damp ground. 

     Oh shit, I've died and gone to hell She opened her eyes, and saw distant figures approaching. Alex, sat up, trying to get a better glance.

      The blurbs of people cleared, and she found herself looking up at a sharp man in his mid forties, appearing profession under the bright lights that beat down on them like a camera flash. Despite the intimidating attire, his face was kind, as if he was as wise as a thousand year old philosopher. Albeit the fact his face was unreadable, the lines that poked from the sides of his eyes told her that he smiled a lot.

     Next to him stood two teenagers who looked about Alex's age, maybe a little older. The male had dark blonde hair, that only made his icy gray-blue eyes stand out even more. He had high cheekbones,  highlighting the feminine features of his face. His slender body stood gracefully, almost swaying in the windless underground. Muscles rippled under his skin, revealing a strong build under his smooth facade. He was beautiful, she admitted to herself, even if the smirk spread across his face agitated her.

     The female's looked contrasted with the male. Her ruby lips matched the deep rouge set in her cheeks, her dark brown hair cropped so evenly to her shoulders it could be mistaken for a blade, sharp and nimble, like everything else about her. But it wasn't how painstakingly beautiful she was that struck Alex as intriguing, it was her eyes. Her brown eyes shone, but flickering every couples of seconds to a golden yellow. It was like looking into the sun, radiating with warmness and comfort, but also a dangerous tone, that threatened to burn and scar you if it needed to.

     "So...can just we kill her now?" The boy commented, his smirk dying down to a serious, husky voice. Alex gripped at the ends of her pants, preparing to run.

     "Well, killing her might be a bit too easy, let's see how long she'll last with the hounds." The girl answered, eyeing her up and down.

     Alex's eyes widened as she began to speak.

     "I-"

      "Alright, alright- that's enough. Can't you see the poor girl's about to have a heart attack? I'm William, I run this underground institution you're currently sitting in." The man with the kind eyes cut through, extending his hand to her.

      Does he want me to shake his hand...? Alex questioned herself, until she realized that she was still sitting on the ground. She got up quickly, ignoring the outstretched hand. 

     Slowly, he retracted his hand, as disappointment flashed across his face. Alex felt a twang of regret at rejecting his altruistic offer.

     "So, you're not going to kill me?" Alex spoke slowly, making sure to choose her words carefully.

     "Naw, but you might wanna get some ice on that bruise." The boy replied casually, still grinning.

     Suddenly, the stinging pain returned on her cheek. Alex clenched the right side of her face, and was horrified when she discovered that it had puffed to about double its original size. She could feel the blood pulsing quickly behind it, moving so fast it seemed to be circulating in circles.

     "That is not a bruise, Asher." The girl snapped at him, taking a step towards Alex to observe the behemoth that protruded from her face.

    "She's right." William spoke up. "Veneletum, meaning poison death."

     "Veneletum.." Alex echoed, the words sounded strangely familiar.