Chapter 2

Her back hit the wall with enough force that she heard the crack as her head made contact with the brick. Her instinctive reaction was to rub it but of course, due to her current situation a certain Draco Malfoy was preventing her from doing so. So instead she looked up at the face of her captor. He was quite a lot taller than her but he was leaning against the wall with one arm, preventing her escape which made him seem a lot shorter than he actually was. His other hand was over her mouth, much to Luna's annoyance. She had several helpful words of nonsense to say to the platinum blonde in front of her if he would only -

'URGH! You filthy, little tramp!'

Draco had removed his hand from her mouth the second her tongue had made contact with his palm. The insult barely registered in Luna's brain. She'd heard worse.

Still breathing heavily, Draco pushed her back against the wall, pulled his wand from inside his cloak and pointed it at Luna's face, causing her to go cross-eyed as she looked at it. Her eyes strayed down the wand and up towards Draco's face. It was tear stained and blotchy but still crookedly handsome. He was wearing his trademark sneer and his eyes were baring straight into hers.

'I swear, if you even whisper a word of what you've seen to anyone, you'll wish you were never born.' It seemed to frustrate him that she didn't look frightened as his sneer grew more pronounced.

'I won't tell anyone.' Luna's dreamy voice gave Draco little comfort as he released her.

'But you know, if you're crying you shouldn't hide yourself away. In the Quibbler it says that if you hide your true fee-'

'What makes you think I give a damn about what some crackpot in your precious scribbler says?'

For a moment, the glassiness in Luna's eyes seemed to waver and Draco was sure he saw the corners of her mouth turn down slightly but the moment was so fleeting, he wasn't sure if he'd imagined it. Perhaps he had struck a cord.

'Draco?'

'It's Malfoy to you, Loony.'

'Why were you-'

'Get out before I hex your twisted, empty brain so much you won't even remember your own name.'

With a final smile she left talking to herself gleefully. Draco thought he heard her say that she sometimes forgot it anyway but told himself that even for Loony Lovegood that was too far.