The Patient

Warning: references to physical violence and alcoholism

The scent of coffee filled your senses as you looked out the kitchen window. You sighed calmly, enjoying the view of the birds fluttering by. You were so tired that you almost fell asleep again, but the sound of a creaking door woke you up from your daydream.

"Good morning," your boyfriend said with his groggy morning voice. "You're preparing coffee already? You're so sweet."

You smiled, but your smile faded when he wrapped his arms around you. He felt you flinch and he quickly let go. "It was a long time ago, Y/N. You know it won't happen again," he repeated the phrase you heard a hundred times.

"It doesn't matter when it happened; what matters is that it did happen," you told him. It had been almost four months since he hit you, but you weren't ready to let it go. He often had drinking problems, and an apology wasn't enough to rid you of your fear.

"Can we just move on?" He requested, rubbing his temple. You nodded and poured the coffee on the cups without saying a word. You placed them on the bar countertop and sat down until it was time for you to leave for work. You got up silently and put your coat on. "No goodbye kiss?" Your boyfriend asked as you opened the door. "Not today."

As you made your way down in the elevator, you checked your papers to find out who your patient would be. You had successfully cured someone before, and now you were in charge of someone else. That day was going to be your first meeting.

Luke. Last name unknown.

That's what the papers said, including some information of where he supposedly came from, his relationships and his past, but most of it was a mystery. The elevator dinged and the doors opened.

The wait for a taxi wasn't too bad and you were able to get to work pretty early. It was especially important to make a good first impression.

You were guided to your patient's room with a wish of luck. Apparently, no one was able to make any improvement with him. Well, you were going to change that, you decided. If you wanted to be the best psychologist - or at least make it to the top 100 - you had to be accepting of new challenges.

You took a deep breath and walked in. Luke was already sitting at the table, which he apparently preferred over laying down on the chaise longue. You walked over to your chair and sat down in front of him. He still hadn't made any eye contact.

"Hello," you said to break the silence. "Should I call you Luke?"

"Well, that is my name, isn't it?" He asked in return, still not looking up.

"Okay then," you looked through his file, trying to find something to talk about. "So, there's not much information about you here. Why is that?"

"My life has been very complicated. There's a lot of information that I don't want to share," he stated.

"Well, that's going to be a problem because you're here to do the opposite of that," you told him, even though you knew he was aware of that.

"Just so you know, I didn't sign up for this," he finally lifted his gaze to look at you. "My idiotic brother forced me to come here."

"Thank you," you said.

He raised one eyebrow in confusion, "Thank you for what?"

"For sharing something," you clarified. "With those two sentences you let me figure out that you have a brother - possibly only one - and that you're not close to him or anyone else in your family. Because if you were, you would have said that your family forced you to come here not just your brother, and you wouldn't have called him idiotic."