Chapter Two - The Snowy Walk

Chapter Two

Song: Deep Night by Vic Damone

The next day Maggie arose early, eager to meet Emily and begin her new job. She softly brushed her curly brown hair and chose a simple and modest deep purple dress for the day. Once again, her nerves took over and her heartbeat increased. How she wished her mother were here. Word of wisdom and comfort sounded delightful right about now.

Taking a deep breath and summoning courage, Maggie walked downstairs and entered the dining room where breakfast was being served. Emily was already seated, and Mrs. Drake was placing a platter of French toast on the table. "Good Morning Mrs. Drake...Emily," Maggie said smiling.

"Oh dear, it's Diana, please! Being called Mrs. Drake makes me feel so old!" Diana laughed. Maggie smiled.

"Miss Edwards.... Miss Edwards!" Emily shouted. The five-year-old bounced from her seat to greet Maggie, hugging her at her legs with strawberry jam coating her fingers. Maggie smiled and bent down to hug the joyous little girl. "Hi Emily, it's so good to meet you," she said. "I bet we'll have lots of fun!" Emily and giggled and sat back down to finish her breakfast as instructed by Diana.

They finished breakfast and Maggie spent the morning becoming acquainted with Emily in the living room. Emily was eager to show Maggie her vast collection of Barbie Dolls and her favorite game. Diana knitted and occasionally joined in the conversation as Maggie and Emily became accustomed to one another.

Soon, the morning turned to afternoon and Maggie began her lessons with Emily. First they started with numbers, then moved on to letters and sentences. Maggie found Emily to be a bubbly, exuberant child, who was always willing to learn and she was glad to have such an energetic pupil; although Emily did possess a streak of stubbornness.

Soon the days turned into weeks at the Middleton Estate and Maggie fell into a comfortable routine with Emily as well as a nice friendship with Diana. She had learned that Diana had also managed the estate while Mr. Middleton was growing up, for his father, William Middleton, and Diana had even taught Maggie how to knit a little bit. For the first time in many years, Maggie felt a sense of contentment. While her anxieties and fears still crept up on her from time to time, those moments were becoming far less frequent. Mary Beth had been right after all. She had needed to move, to experience different surroundings. She had spoken to her sister nearly every other day, catching up on the events in San Francisco and Mary Beth had enquired about the Middleton Estate, stunned, when she discovered that Mark Middleton was the owner.

It had continued to snow almost daily in Massachusetts, accumulating nearly ten inches of snow. While it was beautiful, Maggie was becoming stir crazy. She longed to go outside, go on a walk and was quite irritated when the weather continually prevented this.

It was nearly a week until Christmas and Emily was becoming a challenging pupil to reckon with. Excitement filled Emily and she continually talked about Christmas and Santa Claus. Emily insisted on at least two Christmas movies a day and she repeatedly asked how far away Christmas was.

"Oh look!" Diana said, glancing up from her book. "It's finally stopped snowing!"

"Yippee!" Emily squealed, bouncing across the room and gazing out the window at the pure white snow. "Miss Edwards, can we go make snow angels? Please!!"

Diana shook her head. "No, dearie, I don't want either of you catching a cold before Christmas."

"But, Di-ana!" Emily protested.

"Now dear, I don't want to hear any of that. Remember, you have to be on your best behavior if you want Santa to visit."

Emily grumbled, but complied.

"Why don't you go find a storybook we can read," Diana suggested to Emily.

"Ok," She said, racing out of the room on a mission.

Maggie chuckled, adjusting the fabric of her dress.

"I have some news," Diana started, a hint of mischief in her voice. Maggie looked up. "Mr. Middleton will be coming tomorrow."

"Oh, he will?" Maggie asked. "I bet Emily is over the moon to see her father!"

"I haven't told her yet. I figured it would be a nice surprise for her," Diana explained.

Maggie nodded, approving the woman's idea. A question entered her mind. "Is Mr. Middleton a decent man?" she asked, furrowing her brow slightly, in thought.

Diana looked surprised and hesitated. "Why yes, Mark is a decent man. I've watched him grow up into a productive businessman. He...he is a harsh man," Diana explained. "A little rough around the edges, perhaps, but a good man."

Maggie nodded, pondering what Diana had said and a brief silence fell between them.

"You know what...I have a letter that needs to be sent out!" Would you want to walk it to the mailbox? It's a few miles down the drive, but I know you're aching to get outside!"

Maggie happily accepted the invitation to mail the letter. Although she greatly enjoyed the company of Diana and Emily, she desperately needed some fresh air, which the influx of snow that week had not allowed until this moment.

"You make sure to bundle up out there. It's just frigid!" Maggie nodded and handed Diana the letter.

She had a peaceful and quiet, but frigid three mile walk to the mailbox. Although it was terribly cold, Maggie was grateful to have a few moments for herself. She placed the letter gingerly in the mailbox, put the flag up and continued back up the long three-mile drive to the manor.

By now, a few stray snow flurries had returned and the sun had fully set, the sky filled with a deep darkness and the small, but magical glimmer of starlight. Once again, lost in her pensive thoughts, Maggie did not hear the motor of the car as it approached behind her.