The Same Girl

7:00 am.

I've never been so excited in serving the altar than I am today. I've always done this ever since I was a child, back to where we used to live, but when we moved into this town, I didn't know if I'd even be confident in serving a different church, and different priests.

But now, I'm thrilled. I didn't know when it started, but I have always looked forward in going to church to serve because I knew... she'd be there.

Just the thought of seeing her again excites me, what is she wearing today? Would she be coming with her parents or would she be coming with her sister? Would I get to see her smile? Will I be able to look at her secretly? Will she be looking at me as I serve?

"You look excited, Josh." I looked at my mother who was driving me to the church today, "Is it because of her?" She asked me with a knowing smile.

"Is it that obvious?" I asked her earning a laugh from her.

"Yes, better do something about that or you might freak her out." She suggested and I just shook my head.

The moment we arrived, I took the surplice on the back seat, before heading out of the car, "Should I pick you up later?" My mother asked me.

"Aren't you going to attend the mass?" I asked her, confused, leaving the door open.

"I will, later, I just had to drop by somewhere and it'll take a while, so I'll attend the mass in the afternoon." She explained, "And I know you wouldn't change your serving time, so should I pick you up later?" She asked me but gave me a teasing smile. She knew what today was, and was clearly having fun teasing her son.

"Just go already." I closed the door but she rolled down the windows.

"Alright, then we'll see you later." She gave me a knowing look, before I nodded at her, "I'll be going now." She then waved goodbye at me before leaving.

Today's the day, Josh. No turning back.

***

The mass started with our procession going to the altar, as I rang the bell, I took a glimpse at her as she stood beside her family on the same spot they have always sat, where I first found her and got interested to her.

She turned her head, and as our eyes met, we both looked away from each other, trying to keep our smiles to ourselves. As we reach the altar and everything else was finally settled, the mass soon began, and I went to my usual position on the side, beside the door.

Come on, Josh, have a look at her...

I closed my eyes and heaved a deep sigh as I try to push that thought away, this is a mass, I need to focus on that.

Just one little look?

Biting my inner cheek, I soon give in to the temptation and tried my best to secretly look at her, not being to obvious that I wanted to see her, again.

I successfully turned my head a little, not being to obvious, and took a glimpse at her, and as usual, she looked beautiful in everything she wore. She was wearing a dusty blue dress, her hair was half tied, and I noticed that she was wearing new glasses. Finally satisfied of seeing her, I finally focused all of my attention to the mass and in serving the priest and the Lord.

 Finally satisfied of seeing her, I finally focused all of my attention to the mass and in serving the priest and the Lord