Is it a dream or a nightmare

She opens her eyes to the dense forest in front of her and her stomach twists in fear and recognition. She has been here a million times before yet it is still tormenting. She can see the opaque grey of the trees that are twisted at odd angles. As she picks herself up off the dirty ground she is unaware there is a sinister anomaly taking place deep in the forest waiting just for her to discover it. She can feel the tight ball of stress and fear in her stomach but makes herself shuffle forward deeper and deeper into the forest. As she walks further down the overgrown path which is consistently getting darker she starts to notice the trees beginning to twist and turn in odd directions like they are trying to…grab her or reach out to her like they would just wrap her up and make her part of them. Her heart is beating a million miles a minute and feels like it’s going to jump out of her chest but still she forces her feet to keep dragging her forward going against her instinct to run.

“Jussst give up, no one will care.” A voice coming out of the forest hisses at her. She whips her head to the left and sees a cloaked figure that seemed to be made out of shadows. For the first time she stops and takes in her surroundings. The forest is dead there is no colour to be seen anywhere and the shadows seem to consume everything around her like is a monster trying to swallow her whole. Looking around her she can see many cloaked figures all converging on her. She can feel the tears of fear start to stream down her face as she realizes how many shadow figures are surrounding her. Before she has time to think of her next move her feet are moving with stealth over the dead fall of the forest, the tears cloud her vision of the already blackening forest; but she keeps running because she knows if she stops she’s dead. Her legs burn with over exersion but she keeps going , sweat pours down her face but she keeps going, her mind screams at her to go faster so she does. Her black hair swings around her as she runs sometimes catching on dead branches of the trees, which makes her scream every time. She starts to get lazy and drags her feet after running for so long, her feet and legs are numb and her exposed arms are cut up from the branches smacking her. When she can no longer run she clenches her hands into fists at her sides and walks straight as a board. She is aware of the presence of the shadow people but tries keep sane by humming a song to herself.

“Just give up Hun.” One hisses.

“No one cares.” Another one whispers.

“It won’t hurt.” She hears right in her ear which makes her wince.

“Take the knife.” It starts

“And from there you know what to do.” It screams at her. She winces away from the sound and lifts her hands to her ears to cover them so she doesn’t have to listen to their deadly words.

“Stop.” She whispers. They laugh.

“That’s enough.” She whispers. They laugh.

“Stop!” She screams. They are surprised at her anger but still laugh.

Finally her legs give out and she falls to the ground, when she tries to hoist herself up her legs continue to give out. She can hear the chorus of laughter all around her coming from the shadow people. Then the wind starts, swirling around her like a tornado whipping her hair around. She looks up to see the stark grey sky above her and the leaves swirling around her like little brown butterflies. The sound of the wind is a deep howling that reminds her of a lonely wolfs beckon to his lost pack. The wind dies down and the picture around her is bleak the shadow people have converged close enough to touch her and are resting their dark orbs on her shoulders. She can feel her strong mentality breaking and can feel the tears of defeat roll down her face; she sits there for what seems like eternity. She can hear her shadow friends whispering a song of the dead; she opens her eyes expecting to find a pool of tears in her hands but in its place is a pool of dark red blood. She wipes her face on her arm and it leaves a dark red streak trailing down her arm. She soon realizes her tears are not the common salty water but the metallic red liquid that seems so precious to so few.

“Now that wasn’t ssso hard was it.” He explains.

“Giving up is just easier for us all Hun.” Another says while touching her face. She inhales sharply at its cold touch, she is no longer afraid of whatever they are.

“I am not giving up nor will I ever give up all because without me you are nothing, all you are is a tormented piece of my imagination.” She says in a strong voice that seemed to echo into the forest hit the trees and come back at her. She hears them all gasp at the sudden revelation she has revealed. She lifts herself up and begins to walk again. She is walking away from them because without her they are just a piece of the background shadows that can no longer reach her. The last thing she remembers is the feel of a smirk upon her face.