Part Nineteen

The thick smell of the hospital woke him. It was a mixture of anti-bacterial potions, the ever-lingering smell of sickness, and an overpowering aroma of lemons. Eyelids heavy, George sifted through the alarming array of thoughts in his mind. Sluggish and disorientated, he realised he couldn’t make sense of any of it.  Time seemed to stop. And he was lost in a wave of his own confusion. Without opening his eyes, he fell back into a dreamless trance.

***

“I think he’s awake,” a sharp voice penetrated his ears. How long had he been asleep? Minutes, hours?

“Sssh,” someone hissed, “he needs to rest.”

“Mum, what he needs,” it was the first voice again, “is to explain himself,” she snapped. It had to be Ginny. “He goes missing for a week, and then winds up in hospital. I want to know what he was thinking.”

Maybe he should just go back to sleep. Surely they would all leave soon…

“He’ll be lucky if I don’t put a bat-bogey hex on him as soon as he opens his eyes.”

At this, George couldn’t help but smile. Definitely Ginny.

“Ha!” she shouted, “see, he is awake. Open your eyes George.”

“Please don’t hex me,” he whispered as his eyes fluttered open.

He was suddenly bombarded with hugs and kisses. His mum was crowing his name and stroking his hair, while clinging to his dads hand. Ginny was leaning over him and looking into his eyes, a wide and triumphant smile on her face. Bill was standing at the end of his bed, with Fleur hanging on to his arm and looking agitated. Ron was sitting next to him in a large armchair, his face pale and his eyes bloodshot. Even Percy was there, hovering next to a pot-plant, looking nervous and slightly uncomfortable, with Charlie standing watch behind him.

When his mum sank backwards into her chair, George was able to see Angelina. Her lips were pressed firmly together, and her facials muscles were tight. When he looked at her, her gaze fell to the floor.

“What were you thinking?” the question was repeated over and over by various members of his family, but each time he ignored it. “What were you doing there?”It was like his vocal chords had been cut; he couldn’t voice any response. “Why did Malfoy attack you?”

He found his voice very suddenly. “I don’t know!” he roared. The room fell into startled silence. “I don’t know,” he repeated  more quietly. His family all turned to look at each other, then back at him.

“You’ve been asleep for two days, George,” Ginny said in a choked voice. “We weren’t sure you were going to make it.”

“Well, I have,” he snapped, suddenly wishing they would all just disappear. The warmth in the room began to evaporate.

“What were you up to, mate?” Ron asked, breaking the cold silence.

George sniffed, and felt tears burning his eyes. “Nothing,” he said, even as it all came back to him. “Please, I just want to be alone.” He closed his eyes and rolled over in his bed. There was silence, and then the scrapings of chairs and disgruntled muttering. The door banged shut.

George sighed, and twisted over onto his back. “Why are you still here?” he asked.

“I’m keeping watch over you,” Charlie said.

“I don’t need your help,” George said.

“You’re barmy,” Charlie said, “don’t you remember the ending of that story?”