The Worst Birthday Present Ever

Sadie sat quietly on her bed reading a book about tigers for a school project that was due on Friday. She, being 17 years old and in 10th grade, looked up at the clock. It read 6:30; Sadie jumped out of bed and ran to her dresser. She quickly dressed her eyes up in mascara and eyeliner. She paused for a moment to look at here eyes. They were the strangest things you would ever see. Her eyes were like that of a tigers, pure green fire that never stopped blazing. Then she hurried to her closet and threw on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt with a tiger on it and Rawr written on the front. She quickly, or tried to, put a brush threw her wavy brown hair. It reached to her lower back and she decided to braid it to the side. Then realizing what time it was, she grabbed her school bag and headed downstairs. Her mom was waiting for here at the table. She had prepared a couple pieces of toast for Sadie. Grabbing both and waved goodbye to her mom.

She stepped out into the cold, crisp morning air of Pennsylvania and walked to her bus stop. On her way to the bus stop she remembered that her birthday was in in two days. Days and she would be eighteen soon.

The bus finally arrived and she went to school. When she got there, her best friend, who was also her cousin, greeted her. Will was here age, and his name was William but everybody called him Will, and so did she. He was just about the same height as her and had short shaggy golden brown hair and eyes like Sadie.

Will walked to her locker with here. While she put all of her books away, the bell for first period rang, PE she thought. Grabbing here PE clothes, she said goodbye to her best friends and ran to the girls changing room.

She quickly changed and headed out to the track for warm up. As she always got ready and to warm up before everyone, she started running so she could get a few extra laps in. She didn’t know why but she and Will were all really good at running. It was strange because here mom and dad were horrible runners and so were Will’s parents.

After everyone shuffled into the gym for rope climbing class, the PE teacher began explaining the proper form in which to climb. During that time, Sadie stared at him but not hearing a word he said. For some reason, she always felt like she knew the stuff the teacher was going to say and how to do it especially when the activity included using your strength or agility. But she didn’t know why.

 Heading to the changing room after PE class, she saw Mike talking to his friends. Everybody knew that Mike was a popular guy, he was British, which made him extra hot, and he wasn’t a bad looking guy. He had sky blue eyes and shaggy brown hair that was always swept to the side. He was also one of Will’s best friends. Every girl in her grade had a big crush on him but he never asked any of them out. Which she really wished he would because Mike was always at football practice or at Will’s and they were play video games together. The reason, she guessed, he didn’t ask anyone out was because he didn’t want to make the plastics jealous because he knew that they also liked him. If they found out that he asked another girl out who wasn’t the ‘leader’ of the plastics, they could make that girls life miserable. The plastics are a judgmental group of girls who are really popular. There are three of them, the leader, Beth Edds who is the meanest, the prettiest and the baddest of them all. Then there is the other two who follow her around like little puppies, Courtney Hamilton and Kristina Mcadams.

Rolling here eyes at the thought of them, she walked past Mike, who gave her a wink, and into the girls changing room. That was weird she though to herself whilst changing.  Walking out of the changing room, she went past the cheerleader team information and saw that Beth Edds was head cheerleader. She gets everything, when is karma going to bite her in the ass for all of the mean things she has done to people at this school? Thought Sadie

 She was at her locker when Will came up to her and said,

“What are you doing for your sweet sixteen?”

“I dunno? Probably nothing.” Replied Sadie.

“Come on Sadie you have to do something.” Begged Will.

“I don’t have anything t do and nobody to invite, who am I going to invite? Beth, Courtney and Kristina?” Sadie sarcastically remarked.

Will looked her right in the eye and said, “Ok, well if your not having a party, you can come over to my house and spend the night. It’ll be fun. I’m sure that Mike won’t mind, he will be there of course. Come on it will be fun, you, me and Mike, it will give you two a chance to bond.”  Pleaded Will he was practically on his knees at this point.

“Ok fine, just get up.” Replied Sadie.

He stood up and wiped off his beige trousers and walked away. What would I do without Will? I would die.  She said to herself. She locked her locker and walked to her next class.

Sadie had arrived at Will’s house; she set up her blanket and pillow next to his on the carpeted floor in his bedroom in front of the TV. She realized that Mike had set up his sleeping bag already. So she went walking around looking for him, but she couldn’t find him. She walked into the kitchen and saw Will and Mike were hunched over something. She was walking toward him and then knocked a bottle of ketchup over onto its side on the counter. At the sound of this Will turned around. His hands were covered in what looked like to be sprinkles. He saw her and quickly grabbed whatever was on the table.

“Happy Birthday Sadie!” He produced three cupcakes from behind his back and gave one to her, one to Mike and one to himself.

“Aw, Will you didn’t have to.” Said Sadie.

“Don’t be silly, It’s your birthday, what is a birthday without cupcakes?” replied Will.

“Guess you’re right.” Sadie said.

They all devoured their cupcakes quickly, all they were left with was crumbs that lay scattered on the table. The cleaned up the mess and left the kitchen.

 They sat down in their sleeping bags and got all comfy, then Will asked,

“What game do you want to play?”

“Umm… how about… cards?” suggested Sadie.

Cards was a made up game that Will and Sadie had created when they were younger. You got ten cards and you had to get all ace to ten in the same color, because same suit was too hard. After playing cards for god know how long, she went to the bathroom to get changed into her pajamas. She threw on a white tank top and some pajama shorts. She took out her braid and brushed her teeth and walked out of the bathroom. Will and Mike were both sitting on the floor talking about something, but she couldn’t tell what it was, but she heard her name. Before she could ask what they were talking about they both looked up at her and seemed to stop talking immediately. She looked from Will to Mike and muttered “Boys,” but only loud enough for herself to hear. Then she walked over to her sleeping bag and unzipped it so she could crawl into it. Will and Mike saw her do that they both went to their sleeping bags.

“Night Will, night Mike.” Sadie said.

“Night,” they both replied in unison. And with that Mike flicked off the lights.