You and Me Against the World

Chapter 1

I grunt and double over as he hits me again, a few tears leak from my eyes from being punched in the nose. I fall to my knees as the jock kicks me in the face, making his friends laugh. I sit there hunched over holding my stomach with my head in my lap gasping for air. They seem to think this is funny.

"Had enough yet? Or have you learned your lesson?" the lead jock, John, says meanly.

"Oh I think I'd like some more actually, you missed my good side." I reply through gritted teeth.

"Smart alec eh?" he says and kicks my back so i go sprawling, and hitting my face on the hard tile.

I hear them all laugh and I get to my feet. Swaying a little bit, I throw a clumsy punch at his face which he easily dodges and punches me in the jaw. I fall over backwards and lay on the floor, defeated. John comes and positions his foot over my face and steps on it once. He begins to do it a second time when someone shouts a protest.

"Stop, stop stop it! John stop!" says a far away sounding voice.

"What's it to you Alexis? Oh right, just sticking up for your brother." sneered John.

"Shut it John, he's not brother. Even though he might as well be, back off jerk." Alexis says with a vengeance I didn't know she possessed.

I hear all the guys walk away and lay I on the floor, groaning and in pain. My nose feels broken and I feel a surprising amount of pain in my stomach. I don't want to move, I don't think I can.

I lay there until Alexis comes over me and starts lightly tapping my face. "Again? Really? Come on Zach, come on get up. Ugh get up!" she grabs my shoulders and sits me up against a locker. "Come on I'm not dragging you all the way back to my house get up!" Alexis throws up her arms. "Fine then you asked for it."

She goes over to a water fountain and fills her cheeks with water, then walks back and spits it all over me and I groan, "Alexis, that was not necessary!"

"Well then maybe you should have gotten up! Come on bro, get up and we'll go back to my house." She replies. I stand up weakly and lean on her for support while we begin to walk out of the school. "First day of sophmore year and they are already beating you up. What was their 'reason' this time?"

"John tripped over my books I had set on the floor in front of my locker." I say.

"Oh that's just lovely, so they see it fit to beat you down? I hate those jerks, when we get to my place I'll get you some pain medication and an icepack or something."

"And a towel, you spit water all over me."

"That's what best friends are for!" she says and laughs.

"For what? I believe people can live without someone that exists only for spitting water on their best friend's. Don't you agree?" I reply and crack a smile.

"Hm, no I think we need people to spit water. The world revolves around us water spitters, come back to my place and we'll fix you up then you can spit water at me if it will make you feel better."

We laugh together and exit the school building, smiling and wet.

This is Alexis and Zach. The two best friends from a small town in the middle of no where. These two have been best friends since birth, they have done everything together. Sleepovers, vacations, the movies, and birthday parties. Which helps since they were born within hours of each other across the hall in the same hospital. The two are often mistaken for twins, given that they look a lot alike. The two families have spent pretty much their entire lives together.

Neither Alexis nor Zach have ever been popular in school. They've been made fun of, teased, beat up, and bullied in everyway. That dosen't matter to them, they are always there for each other. It's just been Alexis and Zach against the world.