The Girls

A/N: Hey...so just a little author's note for introduction. This is my first story on Wattpad, and it was actually inspired by the commercial for Ralph Lauren's new line of colognes. Weird, I know, but that's how my brain works. Anyway, the youtube video for the commercial is on the side, and I encourage you to watch it because many of the physical attributes of the main characters came from there. I do not own Ralph Lauren in anyway but the plot line, characters, setting, etc. are my own. Just throwing a copyright out there that I, You_Had_Me_At_Hello, do own this story. Thanks guys and enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One—The Girls

“Hey, guys, where’s Ailey?” inquired Blithe from her place on the floor at the foot of the bed. “I thought she was supposed to stop by later.”

Avery laughed. “Where do you think? She’s with Makena, of course.” The brown-haired girl flipped disinterestedly through a magazine while she lazed on her large, four-poster bed.

Blithe rolled onto her back and stretched her jean-clad legs in the air. Pieces of her dark brown hair fell messily from the bun atop her head as caramel brown eyes stared blankly at the ceiling. “When do we get an invitation to Westminster? That girl has been dating Makena Sawyer for as long as I can remember, and we have yet to grace Westminster Polo Club with our presence.”

“What did you expect?” Gwen said as she went about rearranging the objects on Avery’s bureau. “Ailey has always been a bit, well, flighty. She probably doesn’t even realize that we haven’t been introduced to any of Makena’s friends even though he’s met us.” Gwen’s jade eyes swept over the room, looking for anything else that seemed out of place.

“It’s no use, Gwen,” Avery stated, smiling. “It’ll be a mess again by tomorrow.”

Gwen frowned and wrung her hands together nervously. “Ugh, why can’t you just keep this place clean? We are definitely meeting at my house from now on. I don’t think I can take much more of your clothing piles.” Her dirty-blonde hair hung pin straight and brushed her shoulders gently as she swung her head around to stare at the leather chair piled haphazardly with worn and clean clothes alike.

“Sure, whatever you say,” Avery replied, rolling onto her stomach and putting her feet in the air.

“Guys, can we get back to the problem at hand please?”

Avery and Gwen turned their eyes on Blithe and both heaved a sigh while sharing a knowing glance with each other. If the two girls didn’t indulge their friend now then there was sure to be raised voices and stomped feet. One was always quick to learn that when Blithe wanted to be heard…well, she was heard loud and clear.

“Look, Blithe, we can’t very well invite ourselves, and what’s the big deal anyway? I don’t think you even know what polo is,” Avery said matter-of-factly.

Gwen spoke up next. “And it will probably be crowded with people watching the match. Wouldn’t you rather just hang here and watch some movies?”

“Um, no,” Blithe said incredulously. “We are all aware of your aversion to the human population, but I would like to meet someone of the opposite gender before I die an old spinster.”

“And the drama queen returns,” murmured Avery.

Gwen snorted lightly.

“I’m serious guys,” Blithe said, her voice raising a few octaves. “Don’t you ever worry that you’ll never meet anyone and that you’ll just be…alone for the rest of your life.”