Chapter One - An Invitation

My name is Ethan Rein. I served in the Avian Expeditionary Force for 7 years before making the switch. To me, there was nothing better than the next mission. I loved the mafioso-style meetings we'd had, and the cannonade blast of the explosions we'd inevitably run into. I guess that's just a part I get from my uncle, Jebediah. I only switched because of a letter I got from Uncle Jeb a few days ago, to be honest, and I never thought things would turn out like this.

****8 Days Before****

"Ethan! I'm home!" My wife called, coming home from work at the Svartfalk Heavy Industries Headquarters. She was a corporate gal, always talking business, yet I looked past that, to the sweet girl inside I had met years before. Her auburn hair and deep eyes were the only things I caught sight of as she swished into the kitchen to grab a soda.

"So, how was work, mon cherie?" I asked from the stairs, blissfully caught in her radiance. I, not wanting to be rude, opted for the quickest route to the kitchen, that is, skipping the stairs all-together and jumping down.

"Come on, Ethan, stop scaring me." She told me as she ran to the phone, which had, out of all times it could have, decided to ring at that moment. She picked it up. "Hello?" She asked into the phone in an illustrious, almost fascinating manner. "Ethan, come'ere, its Anna, she wants you to do something." Briskly walking over, I ran into the door trim. I'm losing my edge, I thought, reaching for the phone.

"Hi Anna! How's it going in Avia?"

"Fine daddy. I need you to check something."

"Sure, anything. Just promise me you'll be here early for Matthew's graduation. Briscanny gets traffic all over the place after five."

"Sure thing dad. So, anyway, could you check the mail? Uncle Jeb wanted me to ask you to."

"Alright. Thanks, see 'ya next week!"

"Bye daddy."

"Marissa, have you checked the mail?" I asked. She nodded a no, and I made my way to the door.

Our suburban home was quite a nice home for middle class. It was a classic Taheirean design, Marissa always had an affinity for the way buildings were made in Taheireaz. I promised her we'd go there on vacation some day, so far, we haven't. It had a marble floor for the front porch, and columns made of stone. The trim was gold-leaved, and the rest of the house was made in a sort of clay material. It all culminated in a central dome atop the house, the family room. The yard was a nice, rich green, dotted with a few Iridere trees. We didn't wine them though, too  much work for us, now that Matthew was going off to college.

I approached the charcoal black mailbox with its little flag up high. Opening the door, I discovered a letter in a pouch that seemed to be made almost of parchment paper, completely unlike Uncle Jeb. My neighbor, Voltan Evanov, a Makavite that moved here last year, passed by and I waved to him. Then, I carefully opened the letter and read the contents -

Ethan Rein,

After careful consideration and a nomination from Jebediah Kerman, the Kerbal Space Program Kerbonaut Training Committee has decided to approve your application. You will be expected to report to the KSP Regional Headquarters in Avia, Avienne, to complete your application and to prepare for your transfer of residence to Taheireaz, Taheireaz. Congratulations on this prestigious event.

- Vincenes Telpat

Kerbal Space Program

Head of Kerbonaut Training

"Marissa! Get the car!" I yelled, elated. My application, which I had sent in 5 weeks prior, had been accepted! No doubt Jeb had walked in during the discussion and done something to the committee, but no matter, I was in. That was all I could think of as I ran inside to grab my things. After Matthew's graduation, I'd finally get to see Taheireaz, and maybe even get into that Mun program the news stations were all garbing about.