Chapter 8: Tomorrow is Never Promised

CHAPTER 8

Tomorrow is Never Promised

He introduced himself as Raymond Levreux but she already knew who he was, along with the rest of the world. Raymond had made his fortune developing Credit Guard, the first system to truly abolish identity theft scams by using an authenticator with every transaction. With his vast wealth, Raymond acquired a conglomerate of both big and small tech companies. One such company was Lucent Labs. She had seen Raymond at the Javits conference center and on Impress News but never got a chance to say hello. She was embarrassed to be sitting in front of the richest man in the world after having had a PTSD meltdown.

Raymond gave Cindy a paper cup of water. She wasn't thirsty but drank until her nerves settled. She handed the cup back and thanked him. Raymond knelt down and waved off the Lucent Labs team who were loitering around like vagrants.

"I've been in your shoes before, except with less makeup," Raymond said.

She wiped at her eyes. Her fingers became black with product. "Jonas isn't here is he? I don't want him to see me like this."

"He is not."

"Oh God." She opened her purse and dug through her make up kit. "I have to put this shit on again."

"Cindy, right? I don't think putting on makeup should be on your list of priorities, unless it makes you feel better." He chuckled softly. "Just my humble opinion." The sweet sound of his voice calmed her down.

She stopped before she could rub eyeliner on the edge of her eyelid. "You're right. I'm sorry . . . I'm just . . . augh, so frazzled." She took a napkin from her purse and wiped her face.

"No need to apologize. I understand completely."

He offered his hand and Cindy took it.

"Were you in the military," he asked.

"NYPD."

"You must have seen things."

Understatement of the year. "I did."

"Still bothers you?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She laughed at herself and he smiled.

"I didn't want to assume."

Raymond reached into his breast pocket and pulled out a business card. He gave it to her and she looked at it, confused. Why would Raymond waste his time with someone insignificant like her?

"Our little secret," Raymond said. "Feel free to call if you need an ear familiar with the road you're on. I will make time to speak with you."

"Wow, really?" The card was surprisingly heavy. A holographic 1C logo appeared and spun above its jet black surface. She tried to hand it back. "You don't even know me."

He pushed the card into her palm. "PTSD is a frightening road which shouldn't be walked alone. Besides, Jonas is my employee and you are his wife. My help is now available to you."

He had such a relaxed and tranquil demeanor that to say no made her feel rude. She put the card in her purse and whispered a small thank you. Jonas entered the room at the tail end of their conversation. Her tears had long since dried but Jonas knew something had happened. He held onto her cheeks and dappled her forehead with kisses.

"Are you okay?"

Raymond pivoted away from the couple. "She had a scare is all. Tripped on her crutches. Nothing to be worried about."