Chapter 10: Helium

Song of the chapter : Helium by Sia ✨
——————————————————
| Virginia |

I place the divorce papers on the counters, leaving a pen for Oliver to use. I needed to get out of there, afraid of the outcome when he sees them.

I grab the keys to my '63 Cadillac Convertible, a duffel bag with my things already packed, and my bill fold. I didn't care where I went. I didn't care about the people who tried to stop me. There were better things beyond Britain. I was going to discover them.

I have lived here since I was 18, I never liked it. I turn on the ignition to my red car, one I never got to use. I put the gear into reverse and pull out of the garage, I'm on my way to a new life, hopefully.

I pull up to the London Heathrow Airport and request to have my car sent over to the states. I've never had so many people ask me so many questions at once.

There was a crowd around me at the airport, people were snapping pictures, I wanted to scream. Security came over to escort me to the gates. They immediately put me on a plane, I didn't even show I.D. or my passport.

We land at the Pittsburgh Airport in Pennsylvania, I wanted to drive to D.C. from there, which is about a 4-5 hour drive. I needed to clear my head, I wanted to stay on the low.

I took off my red bottoms and threw them in the back, I then pressed a button in my car so the top would come down. I tied a light pink floral scarf around my head, put on my Panthere De Cartier sunglasses that cover my whole face and went on my travel.

I drive for hours, I finally make it to Washington, D.C. the place was filled with tourists, I roll my
eyes and gesture a couple to walk across the street.

I wonder if D.C. was always going to be this packed. I see Potomac River and Pennsylvania Avenue, and I know I'm close to the White House.

I walk up to the main black gates of the White House, tourists line up and snap polaroids of the main entrance.

I have to find a way to get in. I just remembered I could use a telephone booth or a rotary dial in a diner. I could call him. I just hope he'd pick up.

Riggin's Restaurant on Irving Street seemed like the best place to go. Not many people stop by.

I use the rotary dial on the far wall to ring up Joel. He had a private number that was hooked to his private estate - his bedroom.

  "Mr. Kennedy speaking." He sounded tired, it was only 2:00 pm, he didn't seem like the man to sleep all day.

"H-Hello, Joel. It's Virginia..." the line goes silent, I was sure he had hung up on me.

"Come on down, I'll have security let you in." The line is dead, does he want me to come to the White House? I did what my gut told me and went on my way to the White House.

I got pulled near the back, far from the crowd of tourists snapping shots. The men in black suits who were far more bigger than me directed me through the back garden, into a beautiful room.

That was only a pit stop. After numerous rooms had passed us by, the men had stopped me at a white door, one I knew had trouble behind it. Then they left. Unusual.

  I knock on the door and enter, Joel was sitting there, wearing a suit and tie. "Are you ready?" is all he had asked me. I looked at his face, examining him with a puzzled look.

His hair had the same faint curly-ness to it, the kind that you can only see if you close-examine him. His face looked kinder in a way, his eyes looked bluer.