Chapter 3

Helga paced back in forth in the small space of the closet.

"I can't believe it - we're trapped!" she cried. "I should've paid more attention to my fortune cookie last night: 'Beware impulsive deeds, for they will lead you into the belly of the beast'. Or locked in a closet with one, anyway."

As she said that last remark she glared angrily at Lila, who was sitting calmly on a long bench across from the door.

Helga approached her. "Push off, I'm sitting here!"

Lila looked from one side of the bench to the next, then at Helga in confusion. "But...there's plenty of room for both of us to..."

"I said MOVE!"

Lila immediately sat on the floor, as Helga used the entire length of the bench to lie down. "I guess there's no point wasting energy. The nurse will be back soon and once she sees you're missing, it'll be just a matter of time before she finds us both in here."

In actuality, the nurse (Sheena's aunt) had left the office to attend to Eugene Horowitz, a fourth-grader from both Lila and Helga's class, that had taken a nasty tumble on the monkey bars.

Concerned he may have sustained a concussion, she opted to drive him to the hospital to get him thoroughly checked.

"Don't you worry, dear," said the nurse, her eyes fixed on the road ahead of her. "We're just going to the hospital to take some x-rays. We'll be in and out, and you'll be back with your little friends in no time."

"I'm okay....am I okay?...what's okay...who are you?" asked a rambling Eugene in the backseat.

Just before her car crossed the intersection, the green light of the stoplight had gone out.

In order to avoid colliding with oncoming traffic, the nurse slammed on the brakes.

"Oh dear..." She muttered to herself.

Mr. Simmons flicked the light switch on and off repeatedly, but the classroom remained dark. "Oh dear..."

He turned to face his students. "People! Let's not panic. It appears as though we're experiencing a power outage. Yes, Stinky?"

"Does this mean we can go home?" said Stinky, the lanky kid with the big nose and Southern drawl.

"Well, if the power isn't returned soon, then yes, I'm afraid."

"A shortened school day? All right!" laughed Harold.

Phoebe raised her hand. "Mr. Simmons, perhaps I should go retrieve Helga and Lila?"

Mr. Simmons smiled. "That's very conscientious of you, Phoebe. I'm sure the nurse and whoever was watching Helga will escort them back to class.

In the meantime, let's try and get through this social studies chapter..."

The class groaned as Mr. Simmons continued to teach.

The power was never restored, and the students of P.S. 118 were released from shool early that day.

Minutes turned into hours, and it soon became apparent that no one was coming to release the two fourth-grade girls locked in the nurse's closet.

Fortunately, there was a battery-powered lantern, and that acted as their source of light.

"Helga?" asked Lila.

"What?" snapped Helga.

"I don't think anyone's coming to get us," she admitted.

"Well, aren't you a regular Sherlock Holmes," Helga remarked drily. She sat up, then walked back over to the door and gave it a solid kick. "Stupid urban planning infrastructure....I could design a more efficient city in my sleep, for cripes' sake!"

"It's not all bad," said Lila.

Helga silently rolled her eyes.

"Let's play a game – how about 'I spy'. I spy with my little eye, something that is....green. What do you see that's green, Helga?"

Helga gave a sidelong glance at Lila. "Please don't tempt me."

"Come, on Helga! Sure it's a bit scary to be trapped in here, but...it can also be a bit fun if you let it! Being alone together like this in the dark...it's almost like a slumber party!""

"How can you possibly be this perky all the time?"

"Well...somebody has to..." Lila explained.

Helga scoffed bitterly. "Criminy...now you're starting to sound just like Arnold-o."

"Isn't that what you like about him?"

Helga flinched, then glared coldly at Lila. "What did you just say?"

"Nothing! Forget I said anything!" Lila covered her mouth with her hands.

In two steps, Helga was baring down on the redhead. "Let's play a new game. I call it 'The Silent Game'. You just sit here and don't say another word until that door opens again. Got it? Good. And who said you could take my spot?!"

Lila obediently sat on the floor while Helga took up residence on the bench again.