Cream...

Veronica slipped on flats while smoothing down her hair then rushed out the door, making sure to say goodbye to Sirius because that's important.

She had no time to get breakfast or even coffee because she hit snooze five times this morning, not because of the mild wine hangover she had, she was used to that, it was because she was up late watching Shameless-

"Of course I would be late to my first day at work," She mumbled while walking as fast as she could down the side narrowing her eyes at the man who watched her walk by.

The bus was a better option- she managed to jump onto the 6 o'clock bus- especially because the subway was another five minutes away that she couldn't spare.

Then her phone rang- loud- she never had her ringer on this loud, but she hasn't turned it off since she was waiting for calls back from jobs.

"Yes yes- hello-w?" She answered flustered and zipping up her purse that she had frantically dug through while smiling tightly at strangers who stared.

"You're late"

Veronica's eyebrows went together and she shook her arm so her watch would spin around her wrist and she looked at the time.

"It's 6:04"

"-sir"

She looked at the name on her screen making sure it really was who she assumed it was.

"You start at 6" He grumbled.

"No- I'm sorry sir- but I believe we- you, agreed that I would come into work at 7. Sir."

She cleared her throat and then shut her eyes cringing and hoping she wouldn't cry because of how horribly she was handling this.

She stuck her hand in her purse and began to dig for Advil.

"Well- 7 means 6," He said after a pause that was very unlike him and Veronica sighed looking up at the bus roof waiting for God himself to descend and take her phone from her hands.

"Sir, I will be at work at 7, as we discussed"

"Fine, Ms. May"

"Okay good-

He hung up abruptly before she could finish and Veronica sighed deeply, only staring out the window for the rest of her commute, even though she had a book weighing down her bag that she had planned to read.

Veronica still had time to get coffee- she even got one for Raffe, she would've bet her entire savings that he takes his coffee black, but she still took a handful of cream and sugar packs just in case he wanted it.

"Veronica!"

Frazzled- her purse hanging off her shoulder with two coffees and a handful of cream and sugar she looked behind her- and upon realizing that it was Clark the cute boy she spent texting between shameless episodes she was just about convinced the day was cursed.

"Good morning," She laughed to him when he stood in front of her in his tall skinny goofy glory.

"I'm struggling a little bit"

"I can see that," He laughed back pushing up her purse strap for her and put the coffee cups so they were across from each other in the cardboard cup holder so the weight was more balanced.

"There- less struggle"

"You're a life saver- it's my first day of work"

"Yeah you told me"

"I did?"

Veronica then remembered how much wine she was drinking last night.

"Yes- I did!"

"Well uh- what time do you get off? Maybe we can get a, um, drink or food-" Clark hesitated to ask after staring at her face- she was defiantly way out of his league no way would she say-

"Yes!"

"I get off at 6"

"Really? Okay- I'll stop by" Clark adjusted his glasses and Veronica had to look away because of how nervous he made her.

"You know where it is?"

"Yeah, you told me."

"I did. Yes, I did-" Veronica chuckled and scratched her nose with a free finger.

"okay, I'm going to be late, see you at 7,"

Veronica walked out with her stomach tingling and smiled while she crossed the street, even though crossing the street wasn't necessarily a fun activity and squealed when she made it across and looked back at the coffee shop.

She cleared her throat and made a straight face before walking into Bryers.

The elevator ride up seemed shorter now that she was thinking about Clark.

"Good morning!" She said to the tight-faced-blonde lady behind the desk and knocked on Raffe's door too cheerfully.

"Coffee?" Veronica asked when he looked up at her.

"Yes"

"Is black okay? I assumed you drank your coffee black but I do have cream and sugar"

"Cream...and sugar"

Veronica raised her eyebrows but didn't comment she only put the coffee and the pile of cream and sugar on his desk.

He grabbed all three packs of sugar and started to shake them while opening his coffee lid.

"I'm going to need you too make copies of these and these and make sure they get out to the finance staff of the fifth floor- and fax these to Gemma's. When you're done, return, I have more stuff to get done"

"How many copies? And- wait, Gemma's?"

"Twenty and yes"

"Gemma's as in Gemma's eco-farming?"

"Yes, Caleb and I have been work coordinating on a project."

"Oh- cool- okay"

"I'll go get this done then," Veronica grabbed all the papers then spun around on the tip of her flats.

"Veronica, tonight Caleb and I are attending a business dinner to discuss the project"

"Okay? -sir"

"This request is very close to the happening of the event, but would you attend? I'll be needing   an employee to attend"

He always sounded like he was looking up every other word in a thesaurus and replaced it with another word, to sound more professional, before talking.

"Oh- thank you for asking me, but I have a thing tonight. I apologize- maybe I can catch the next one," Veronica tried to sound as apologetic and as professional as she could and even laughed to make it seem more polite.

"A thing?"

"Sir- please we're not close enough for me to discuss my plans with you," Veronica joked and Raffe held back a laugh, but not well enough for Veronica not to notice.

And with that, she left.