13: If You Can't Beat It, Join It

I laughed and shook my head. I was lying down on my elbows while Noah put all sorts of flowers in my hair from the meadow. He even made me braid my hair, so that it would be just the way he wanted it.

"Noah, I'm not gonna keep all these flowers in my hair, you know I'm allergic to them."

"You're allergic to tulips," he said matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"Yeah, well. What's my mom gonna say when I come home looking like a walking garden?" He shrugged and I sighed.

"Okay turn offs." I looked up him and smiled.

"Still?" I tried to sound annoyed, but I was honestly curious as to why he was so eager to know.

"Yes, STILL." I groaned and he smiled, still filing my hair.

"Um..." I trailed off, not really knowing what they were. I don't really have turn offs, if someone is ugly, then... They're ugly. Nothing to explain really. "Cigarettes, conceitedness, braces, blue hai-" Noah doubled in laughter and I smiled. "What?"

"Blue hair? Really?" I shrugged. 

"It's possible." He laughed through his nose and sat up.

"I'm done." He offered me his hand and I grabbed it, he pulled me up to my feet, and I dusted my dress off. "Lets get you back home before your mother has a conniption." I laughed and we went back on our hike to the car. I hate this part.

~•~

After we left he drove me home. As he drove we were mostly quiet. It wasn't awkward. I didn't mind sitting like this with him. He was my friend, and as much as I hate to admit it, things weren't all romance all the time. Not that we had anything romantic at all.

"So, what are you doing tomorrow night?" Noah asked looking over at me for a brief moment.

"Nothing," I stated blankly. Not that that was entirely true, tonight I was having dinner with the freak family.

"Wanna come to the movies with me, Jake, and Ashlyn?"

"I don't know."

"Come on, it'll be fun," he smiled.

"I don't know. I don't mind your brother but... Me and Ashlyn... We don't really get along so it'll be..." I trailed off not sure what the right word to use was. Wrong? Weird? Intense? "...Awkward. Besides with what happened yesterday I don't think it puts me in her good graces," I smiled slightly, remembering the look on her face.

"Understandable." He shrugged and sighed. "But like I said earlier, I'll always protect you." I smiled to myself mostly. He always says that, even when it's about something pointless like zombies.

~•~

When we got to my house Noah walked me to the door. "I had fun. Filling your hair with pointless things." I laughed and ran my finger lightly over my head. I bet I was a sight to see.

"I bet my hats I'm allergic to one of these." He smiled and shrugged.

"Send me the doctor bill." I smiled, looking down at my feet. He put his finger under my chin and made me look at him. His face was so close. I could taste the ninth heat of his breath.

"Do it again," he whispered in my ear nuzzling my neck with his nose.

"D-do wh-what?" I stuttered, finding it extremely hard to concentrate. 

"Blush for me. You're so beautiful when you blush, Emma." He pulled me closer. My cheeks flared without my control.

He made me look at him. He leaned in close, his lips brushing mine like earlier. And I would have given the WORLD to have him kiss me. "See you later." he whispered, his lips brushing mine as he spoke.