six

MOUETTE LEANED AGAINST THE rail, looking down at the waves crashing against the boat, her mind elsewhere.

          She didn't exactly know what to feel. Her father told her to be fearless, the Captain told her to be seen and not heard. Or perhaps he just wished that of her. But nobody told her about pain or affection, for she had only been but a child when she left, and still quite one now!

          Letting out a deep breath, she turned her person to where a few men hauled a basin, probably Captain's orders. Thankfully her legs didn't feel like jelly, all quiver like and docile as they had been when she awoke and, after a match with the Captain, ran out of the cabin like it burned her. Oh no, it had not burned her.

          Only her virtue.

          Her head was not as foggy as it was, clouding her ability to think well as it had done last night, though a dull ache lulled at the back of her head like a lucifer. The fiend, she was sure of it, as she was sure that the hue of the sky was blue, was the Captain. The awful things he told her tasted like venom and even thinking about it made her blood lines shake deeply. For the most part, she was oddly confused. So the devil that visited her each month was for children conceiving.  

          A warm hand pressed against her back and she gasped.

          "Lydia! It is so nice to see you."

          "William! I'll have to ask you kindly not to sneak up on me again."

          "In due time. However, I need to speak to you about something of extreme importance."

          "You're  not going to inquire on how I fare? Actually, how rude of me! You've just been milked for what you've earned, how are you fairing? You've your colour again."

          "Oh, yes," He looked down at his body and straightened out his blank shirt. "'Tis true! My recovery was miraculous thanks to the Captain. Speaking of the Captain—"

          Figuring this conversation was taking a nasty turn, she quickly interrupted him; "Oh, how nice! It's quite the comely day today, but I've not yet been abroad like this, especially not on deck for so long as I am now. I enjoy it dearly."

          "All very good points. Shall we take a walk?"

          He offered her his arm and she reluctantly took it.

          "I'd say so."

          "Very well. Pray tell, how is it that you found Captain Claremont? If you've not yet been abroad before."

          "It's very commonly known that Edward Teach was born before my time, so options were limited, I was quite disappointed."

          William let out a hearty laugh, and she decided she quite liked it. His eyes crinkled and he looked quite innocent, thick and bushy eyebrows included. "He was ever the notorious pirate! From my speculations I concur that you have the same opinions of our very own Captain."

          "I'd hope that Captain Claremont has not yet robbed such as Mr. Teach did, but mayhap if he did I'd hold my opinion as low as I did someone I do not know. Do you see how your statement is not logically correct?"

          "You've blown it out of proportion, my dear!"

          "Quite."

        He didn't respond for quite some time and her thoughts grew less and less optimistic. Had he been mad or perhaps even doleful that even after everything he's done, she did not loathe the Captain? She wished to see him dead more then alive; but after all he was always going to be someone very special to her. The thought was mild and she surmised it would soon pass like all else things.