Epilogue - This Ain't Over Yet

Russell Aspen stepped out from behind the counter when the burn phone rang in his pocket. Before answering it, he made sure he was outside the pizzeria, out of earshot of the teens inside. "This is Romeo Alpha Tau reporting," he said as soon as the door was closed.

"Lima Charlie Lambda, acknowledging," said a slightly-accented female voice on the other end. "How are the subjects today?"

"Same as usual," Russell said, keeping his eyes on the two brothers. "Subjects One and Two are healthy. And happy, too. They're on a double date as we speak."

"Interesting," said Lambda. "I wonder what Alpha will think of that."

"He'll be glad to know, I'm sure."

Lambda sniffed. "Or she. Have you met Alpha? Do you know his or her gender?"

"I'm sure you do, Lambda."

"No, I don't. And considering I've worked for him or her since the beginning, I believe that to be a serious oversight on his...on their part." Lambda paused, as if unsure she should keep ranting. Apparently the answer was no, because in a more businesslike tone, she asked, "Blue Monday is still a go, yes?"

"In, uh..." Russell checked the calendar on his phone. "About three months. That still good for you?"

"I'll be back over the Bridge again by then," Lambda said. "Lima Charlie Lambda out."

"Romeo Alpha Tau out," Russell said, hanging up.

He gazed back at Subjects One and Two for a second, wondering as always how he'd managed to get himself entangled in such a reprehensible scheme. To himself, Russell muttered, "Shit. I'm getting too curious for my own good."

Then he put away the burn phone he'd just answered, and pulled out the other one he kept in his other pocket. Dialing the number of his other contact, Russell waited for two rings before it was answered. "Hi, Russell," said a different female voice.

"Hey, Annie," Russell said. "It's official now - Blue Monday starts in three months."

"Shit," Annie groaned. "Are you serious?"

Russell laughed bitterly. "I'm afraid so, sis."

Annie sighed heavily, then paused before asking, "Got any ideas?"

Russell gazed back into the pizza place. "Hmm. What if we use Lambda's son?"

"I thought she had a-"

"You thought wrong."

He could almost hear Annie clapping in delight. "Yeah. Yeah, that's actually a great idea! Maybe you're not so dumb after all."

"I try," Russell said. "When's your next gig, by the way?"

"Not for a while," Annie said. "I actually think our next one's not for another three months."

"Oh happy coincidence," Russell said. "Well, I'll be sure to be there and see you guys."

"I don't think-"

"Incognito, don't worry." Russell stopped to laugh. "Can't let the Breakers recognize me, of course."

"Yeah, of course." Annie paused for a moment. "Bye, Russell. See you soon."

"Love you too, sis," Russell said, hanging up and going back into the pizzeria just in time for another happy Valentine's Day couple to arrive. "Welcome to Three Guys Pizza Pies," he said, adjusting his glasses and getting his notepad and pen ready."May I take your order?"

TO BE CONTINUED...