· t w o ·

"Are you listening to me?"

Faye's floating mind got back to reality at the snap of Lila's fingers in front of her face. The cab had come to a halt in front of the pier where different cargo were being loaded and unloaded mechanically by man and machine alike. She still couldn't believe that she was taking a month-long sabbatical and that Mr. Kawolski was so supportive of her aunt's proposal. He had repeated over and over how she would be sorely missed, but maybe that was just a gesture. She could probably be slipping and she didn't even know it.

"Not really..." Faye finally admitted to her aunt.

Lila sighed as if giving up on her niece. "Stop worrying about work will you? You did say that the board would still have you back after a month. You're not losing your job so just enjoy your trip. Plus, it's a sabbatical leave. What more do you want? Here's your itinerary," she handed over an envelope, "And I got you the best suite in the cruise! Relax and have a great time. Promise me that."

"Okay." Faye nodded and stared at her aunt's outstretched hand. "What?"

"Phone."

Faye backed away. "Oh, no. Not the phone auntie. What if there's an emergency or something?"

Lila set a stubborn jaw. "Then borrow from someone else. Give me the phone, Faye."

"No! Auntie, you don't know what you're trying to make me do! And it's not like someone would just lend their phone to a random stranger."

"Oh yes. I do know what I'm talking about! And yes, there are still people out there who are kind enough to lend a phone. You're never going to get any rest with that phone with you and then there'd be no point in you going on this cruise. If your office doesn't call you, you're going to call your office. And that is not a sabbatical in my book. Now, give me the phone or I swear I will wrestle you for it! And hurry up. The fare meter's still running, you know!"

It was Faye's turn to sigh, defeated, and gave up her phone, volunteering to pay for the cab fare as she gave a wad of cash to her aunt. Closing the trunk of the cab, her aunt Lila gave her a tight hug.

"I hope this trip will change your life, honey," Lila said into her hair.

Faye released her. "Auntie, it's just a sabbatical. I'll be back to my old self once this is over."

Lila wrinkled her nose telling her how she felt about that. "Who knows who you might meet there? I'm sure that he'll be smart, cute and respectful to elders! Isn't that exciting?"

Faye rolled her eyes. "I'm not here to find a guy auntie. You said I have to rest and guys are nothing but stress. And you're supposed to agree with me. I mean, look at you! You're an old maid and-OW!" She rubbed the back of her head where her aunt hit her.

"Just you wait until a guy snatches your heart out of your chest. You will definitely remember all those Korean comedy-dramas I was forcing you to watch. Let's see you laugh then!"