Chapter Three

Hey readers :) The story might feel somewhat slow at the start, but I really hope some of you enjoy reading it! The chapters are going to get more interesting as the story progresses -the main plot of the story is still yet to come, and these starting chapters are sort of ‘fillers’, so you get to know some of the background info on the characters and their friendships etc.

* * * * * * * * * *

Chapter Three

"Holy shit, we're going to die! We’re going to die!" I cried, reaching over for my seat-belt as fast as I possibly could, fastening it firmly against myself whilst yelling desperately over my seat at Liam to do so as well. Something he complied with without any hesitation.

I never thought I'd see the day I would meet someone worse at driving than Connor, who was so rubbish that he crashed his brand new BMW only about two weeks after his parents had given him it for his seventeenth birthday. Yes, that’s right. Connor can be a complete moron.

Previously, I had thought it impossible that Layla would be somewhat better at driving than Connor, seeing as she said she had improved over the past four months, since the last time I was in the passenger seat beside her.

Clearly I was mistaken. She drove like a complete maniac!

Layla honked as she cut in front of a white minivan without even checking her rear view mirror, waving sarcastically as the angry driver gave her the finger through the barely tinted glass whilst she overtook him.

Oh god. Oh god. I doubt Layla would have many points left on her driving license at this rate!

I started hyperventilating from the shock, adrenaline running coursing through my veins. I sunk a little lower in the passenger seat, conscious of the fact that there could be any speed cameras round here.

Crap. This was definitely not looking good at all.

As soon as I'd voiced my concerns, Layla simply shrugged, replying with a, "I dunno. Do I look like a Sat Nav?... And yes that was a rhetorical question, Isla. But, really, who cares if there are any around here?... Don't give me that look. You've gotta live a little, you know."

"Slow the hell down! We're going to have a car crash!"

"What was that? Go faster?" she joked merrily, chuckling quietly to herself until she turned to find me glaring at her, causing her to grin sheepishly. "I'm kidding, I'm kidding! On common, Isla, loosen up a bit here!"

I winced, and then went back to frantically chewing my nails as a distraction as Layla drove on, ignoring a red traffic light for the third time, the speedometer indicating how crazily fast she was driving as she weaved in and out of traffic as the car sped down the highway.

It was a miracle we hadn't been pulled over yet!

I looked over my shoulder to discover Liam staring ahead, his hazel eyes wide with horror and skin a deathly pale colour, looking frozen with absolute terror. Believe me, it was completely understandable.

Turning back around to face the threatening sights, I gulped audibly, panicking as I realised Layla had no worries in driving at a ridiculously close proximity to the cars in front.

"Um, I'm not sure about you, but I was hoping to live past eighteen. Remember Liam's only five! Besides you're way over the speed lim- don't look at me! Eyes on the road, stupid!" Layla merely laughing at my behaviour.

Oh dear lord. Was she intoxicated?

"Remind me why I even asked you to pick us up from the supermarket? I'm never sitting in the same car as you again if you're driving. This shit isn't fucking right!" I snapped, my hands grasping the sides of my chair so tightly that my knuckles started to turn white.