HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD

I-  PERSONAL TRANSFORMATION...

What actually happens when I commit to following Jesus?

Let us quickly review what went into that critical decision.

You acknowledged your sin of living independently from God.

You repented, turning toward God and away from your former way of living.

You asked Jesus Christ into your life, to be your Savior and Lord.

Here is how the Bible describes this transformation: out of darkness, into light; out of bondage, into freedom; out of death, into life.

Wow! Once all this happens you would think cloudy skies would part, sunshine would flood in and all your troubles would evaporate. But this was not my experience. I didn’t feel a lot different on day one. Soon, however, I noticed changes. As I allowed Christ to guide my thoughts and decisions, I discovered a whole new peace and confidence. Transformation was working from the inside out.

Suppose you buy a new car but discover the battery missing. Well, you could stand there and admire it. You could sit in its comfortable seats and pretend to drive it. Yet without a battery your lovely car will simply stay put. Our lives without Christ are like that. But with Him as the “power source” we are able to be what He designed us to be.

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see immediate change. Be assured that Christ is in you and change will follow. You are a new person. You’ve begun a new journey.

                                               ----------------------->>>>>>>

                           II: BEGINNING THE JOURNEY

What can I expect on my journey?

“Daddy, are we there yet?” That’s the question our children would ask when they were small, just as we had set out on a long car trip. I had to remind them of the many hours ahead, but also to be patient and enjoy the journey.

Your journey of faith is more than a car ride. It’s a lifelong adventure. To help you along the way:

Be confident that, whatever you encounter, Christ is with you. He promised: “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Look for small changes, not instant results. For example, meeting a new Christian friend; taking a step toward overcoming an annoying habit; discovering a verse of scripture that “comes alive” for you.

Embrace each moment, trusting God for the future.

Change is not easy. We need to be a little tough on ourselves, especially when we’re tempted to give up. But with each victory, even small ones, we are better able to meet the next challenge.

Many times I thought the Christian life was too difficult. Old habits and friends who were a poor influence would draw me like metal drawn to a magnet. Sometimes I gave in. You will have these challenges too. But thank God we are not on our own. We can trust our new friend Jesus, the One who lives in us and is totally committed to seeing us through to the end of life’s journey.

                     -------------------***********----------------------------

                           III-  GOD WORKS INSIDE OUT

What should I do first?

Early in our journey, we need to understand the difference between religion and relationship. Perhaps you have seen religion at work. It can be rules-based, harsh and demanding. In contrast, our relationship with Jesus should be much different—personal, open, warm and liberating.