Chapter 22

[Lyrics courtesy of www.azlyrics.com.]

"I Need You"

(feat. Olaf Blackwood)

[Olaf Blackwood:]

She walks home late at night

As she says her goodbyes

She's close to sacrifice

She knows something ain't right

It ain't easy

And it ain't pleasing

She's just tryna find a way out there

She put our faith in

You know it's chasing

She's just tryna find her love out there

And she cries

I need you, hm

Like the wave needs an ocean

Like the love needs devotion

I need you

Like the desert pleads the water

Like a mission needs a martyr

I need you

Every minute, every hour

I lay broken like a flower

'Cause I need you, I need you

She's lost her way of life

Feels like a hole inside

Hmm, she wants to feel alive

And nothing satisfies

It ain't easy

And it ain't pleasing

She's just tryna find a way out there

She put our faith in

You know it's chasing

She's just tryna find her love out there

And she cries

I need you, hm

Like the wave needs an ocean

Like the love needs devotion

I need you

Every minute, every hour

I lay broken like a flower

'Cause I need you

Like the wave needs an ocean

Like the love needs devotion

I need you

Like the desert pleads the water

Like a mission needs a martyr

I need you

Every minute, every hour

I lay broken like a flower

'Cause I need you

'Cause I need you

Hey guys! Thanks for reading and keeping up with my uploads! I'm almost done with this one but I just wanted a few more hours to tinker with it...so please give me about another 12 hours and I'll get it up there! Thanks so much! I linked a video for you above! And here's a teaser below...I promise I'll put the rest of it up here later today! (I might edit the below a bit when I do that!)

The pickup truck was pulling away when Beth walked up to the house. She had fled from the office early, not able to concentrate on her research, and hoping that doing some manual labor might clear her head.

She hurried up the steps and found the front door open, but no one appeared to be in the house.

"Gunnar!" she called softly, but there was no reply. She dumped her coat and briefcase on a chair in the front room and went into the kitchen. There was an espresso pot on the stove and the strong smell of coffee; a small jar sat beside the stove. Elisabeth picked it up, unscrewed the lid, and lifted it to her nose to sniff.

Milk? she wondered. The jar was warm. She shook it slightly before she set it down again, then opened the lid of the espresso pot and peered inside. It was empty.

She didn't own an espresso pot, so Gunnar must have brought it over. Unless he'd found it in the shed? He'd promised to clean out all the outbuildings of ancient Burnham junk, and she'd told him to keep or dispose of whatever he found. There was nothing valuable out there, she knew. But an espresso pot? She couldn't imagine her father or anyone else in her family brewing espresso.

Where was Gunnar?

She went out the back door of the kitchen, down the steps into the back yard. She heard voices in the carriage house.

"So how much would you want for that?"

Elisabeth paused. It was a female voice, brimming with amusement.

"Probably about two hundred. Give or take. But I'd give you a discount."

"That would be sweet," the female voice continued. "Can I just walk in?"

"No, you should call first. What's your number? I'll call your phone and then you'll have mine." A second later, Elisabeth heard a tinkly melody sound.

Elisabeth walked into the carriage house and stopped short. It was mostly empty, and she had to take a moment to collect herself. When she'd brought Gunnar in, it had been so crammed with junk they had a hard time forcing the door open. They'd had to squeeze into the cobwebby interior, pushing their way around boxes of old National Geographic magazines and broken lamp shades sneezing along the way—but now it was a wide-open space, with beautiful wood floors that had been swept clear of dust and debris.

Gunnar was standing in the middle, leaning on a broom, talking to—Christine.

[to be continued in a few hours!]

OKAY GUYS, I've put the rest of the chapter in 22b! Thanks for waiting!